You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-2-2017 01:39:11  #1

In praise (yet again) of the Royal FP

It's probably been a few minutes since the FP has come up in a thread, so I just wanted to say how much I love mine. It really is a bomb proof typer. 

I haven't had the pleasure of an SG1, wish I had, because I hear they're great. But this Goliath of a Royal meets my standard needs more than I ever expected.

In fact, it's the only standard I have, but it compares favorably with my Hermes 3000, Olympia SG9. Which actually probably says more about the power of the 3000 and the SG9 than it says about the FP, since I'm comparing portables to that standard and they are holding their own.

I think my FP is c. late 50s. It must have been an office powerhouse. It probably sat in an insurance agency somewhere, and typed hundreds of letters. 

09-2-2017 02:31:14  #2

Re: In praise (yet again) of the Royal FP

Yes - the FP has been on my 'maybe' list for quite a while now - but we rarely see them in good condition here in Australia.  ...and, unusually, there is one decent machine for sale here right now.  Trouble is, it's purple!
  Following Uwe's help with the specs, I may yet break my vow about acquisitions and buy it - just the colour putting me off.

Sincerely,
beak.

09-2-2017 08:17:02  #3

Question -- does your FP have the Royal tendency to pile letters? The other Royal standards I've used (and the portables, of course) do this.

09-2-2017 09:38:58  #4

There's a bit of pile. Not like the portables, but--a bit.

09-2-2017 12:03:03  #5

Thanks. I don't know why the Royals do that. Usually avoidable if you slow down just a bit, but it seems a lot harder to get other makes to do this.

All the same, I love the look of the FP. Just keeping an eye out for one locally. Tons of KMMs on Craigslist typically, and even some HHs and 10s, but the FPs are thin on the ground.

09-2-2017 12:49:29  #6

I looked up this typewriter and found one for a good price. Will report back on how it does.

Visit my website, eafeliupoetry.com, for posts on typewriters and literature.

09-2-2017 16:12:51  #7

Fleetwing wrote:

Question -- does your FP have the Royal tendency to pile letters? The other Royal standards I've used (and the portables, of course) do this.

I have not found Royals to have any general tendency to pile letters; certainly not enough to single it out as a tendency of the entire brand.

09-2-2017 16:30:11  #8

It could also be my ham fisted typing, and not a problem with the brand at all. Although, my Hermes and Olympias do not pile, and it's the same typist :-)

09-2-2017 17:50:52  #9

SoucekFan wrote:

Fleetwing wrote:

I have not found Royals to have any general tendency to pile letters; certainly not enough to single it out as a tendency of the entire brand.

Hmm, you're fortunate, then. Maybe you have the knack for typing with Royals!

09-2-2017 18:55:34  #10

SoucekFan wrote:

I agree. And can't think of an instance when that's happened to me, but then again, it could also be a case of my not understanding what 'pile letters' means, and/or maybe I just don't type fast enough to experience it? 

Back to the FP, is there anyone who owns one who doesn't actually like the machine? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera