You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-2-2017 08:00:57  #1

Can someone identify this typewriter?

Hello, first time poster, doing some research and definitely not a typewriter expert. The photo I've uploaded to mtit.com/test.html shows the table of contents of a church songbook created circa 1980. I assume this was done on a typewriter but it's weird that there are two sizes of capital letters and no lowercase letters. Can anyone here identify what kind of typewriter might have been used to create this? Thanks in advance! --Mitch

22-2-2017 08:32:58  #2

Re: Can someone identify this typewriter?

Hi, Mitch.  Welcome to the forum.

The two-size uppercase typeface was actually not that uncommon and was offered by a number of different manufacturers under a few different names. I believe one of its prime uses was for filling out forms, but as your sample proves, it was used for other purposes as well. The type sample you provided is slightly different from the double uppercase typefaces that I'm more familiar with - those used by Smith-Corona, Olympia, IBM - but with a little online research it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out the manufacturer that used the variant in your example. Knowing the exact model might prove to be more difficult, or even impossible, if it is a typeface that was available for more than one model.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-2-2017 08:53:22  #3

Thanks Uwe, I used typewriters a lot in the 60s and 70s but I've never seen one that had a double uppercase typeface like this. Are there any online examples of such typewriters with photos of them?

22-2-2017 10:53:11  #4

I'm fairly certain a few such machines have appeared in the forum, and using the search tool should root them out (I'm traveling at the moment and would otherwise do that for you). Below is a 1960 Smith-Corona Portable Electric that I have with the Gothic typeface. I have a couple of other makes/models with a similar typeface but can't access images of those at the moment.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera