You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-3-2017 05:34:17  #1

Olympia SM1 backspace malfunction

Hi there all,

I am currently trying to restore an Olympia SM1. The problem it has is that the carriage will sometimes jam up. I've cleaned the machine sufficiently with white spirits and I don't think it's a question of lubrication.
Dismantling the platen etc. I was able to look inside the machine, to see when it jams up. I've noticed that the backspace mechanic sometimes moves to the left, when the carriage is moving to the right (for example when typing or pressing space bar). This backspacer then blocks the carriage completely. To get it moving again, I have to use a little bit of force (small concentrated 'hits' to the carriage, to the right side). This unlocks the backspacer. 

Now, to fix this: I'm thinking there's something that is supposed to keep the backspace mechanic in a fixed position when not being used with the backspace key, which is not working correctly on this particular machine.
I do notice one odd spring thing on the bottom of the typewriter that doesn't seem to do anything. My guess is that that spring was supposed to be connected to the backspacer, and because it is disconnected, the backspacer moves freely back and forth, causing the jam.

My question/request is, if someone has a working Olympia SM1 (or maybe the Elite or Progress, I think they're pretty much the same), could someone post a picture of the bottom, specifically the backspacer mechanic spring on the left side of the escapement?

Thanks in advance for your help!

04-3-2017 10:32:32  #2

Re: Olympia SM1 backspace malfunction

Hiya all,

I was able to fix it. Apparantly the backspacer mechanism was bent slightly.
Fixing this caused a new problem to appear... Now the backspacer goes back two spaces, rather than just one...
Because fixing the original problem caused me so much pain, I guess I'll leave it as it is.

Board footera