You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-3-2017 11:57:11  #1

Royal Aristocrat - UK/US hybrid keyboard

I've bought a 1941 Royal Aristocrat serial no. B-1098428 at auction today for £35. It's a lovely looking machine in amazing condition. Even the rubbers are basically OK after 76 odd years.

The unusual thing about it is that the 3/# key & type has been substituted for a 3/£ one at some point. The font of the key tip 3 is different to all the other keys. I'm assuming it came to the UK during WW2 but it could have been later.

I've been looking for a heavy duty portable with tabs and this is one fits the bill. From now on it's a one in/one out policy!

04-3-2017 19:36:57  #2

Re: Royal Aristocrat - UK/US hybrid keyboard

Hello!
A couple of months ago I purchased the same machine from an antique store here in the states.
Mine is B-946948 and you're absolutely right, it is a great machine. I'm very well satisfied with it.
It acts like a desk top machine but is small and light enough for lap typing if one wants to.
Odd about the replacement 3 key but I suspect you're right again as to the reason. Likely it came over as a US keyboard and was turned over to the UK style to suit the new user.

05-3-2017 02:28:19  #3

On closer inspection only the top of the typeface has been changed. The # has been cut off and a £ soldered on. Again on closer inspection the serial number is B-1098422. I'll have to add it to the typewriter database.

A really lovely machine with a great action. I can only find a manual for a later 1960's model. Any ideas where I can find a more contemporary manual?

05-3-2017 03:05:08  #4

OldGreyBeard wrote:

Any ideas where I can find a more contemporary manual?

There is a 1941 Royal Quiet De Luxe manual on this page. The Aristocrat and the QDL are almost the same machine, so that manual would probably work fine for your Aristocrat.

06-3-2017 12:27:46  #5

Thanks for the link to the manual. Just what I needed.

Managed to order a new ribbon for the Royal today. Code 1009FN

06-3-2017 18:36:17  #6

I'm glad that manual will work for you.
My machine did not come with anything in the case but a cleaning brush.
My machine is also a little older than the one pictured in the manual but I don't suppose that would really matter that much.

06-3-2017 20:53:36  #7

Rattle Tap wrote:

I'm glad that manual will work for you.
My machine did not come with anything in the case but a cleaning brush.
My machine is also a little older than the one pictured in the manual but I don't suppose that would really matter that much.

On that page, there are also manuals for late-40's and 50's Royal portables, as well.

07-3-2017 04:31:39  #8

My typewriter did come with the cleaning brush which I discovered last night. Difficult to see a black brush in a black case  It does look a bit melted but the bristles are still OK.
There is also a clip which I think must be to lock the basket shift in place.

I've been using the machine a bit in the last few days and it is easing up. It was rather stiff before and the vibrator didn't move cleanly. It really is a lovely machine. Well worth £35.

Board footera