You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-3-2017 19:48:25  #1

1914 LC Smith

Hello, all!

I am new to the typewriter world, but came across a 1914 LC Smith and had a few questions... I wanted to ask if anyone can help me out if possible?

(1) is spending $1,400 on a 1914 LC Smith unheard of;

(2) did these machines come with a case; and

(3) what kind of questions should I be asking the seller/what are the most important things that I should look out for regarding this machine?

Any help is much appreciated!

08-3-2017 20:50:13  #2

Re: 1914 LC Smith

Welcome to the forum! I encourage you to add your location to your profile; given this is an international forum it makes it easier to talk about things such as selling prices when the geographical region is known.

1. I don't know if it's unheard of, but in my area to pay that kind of money for a regular L.C. Smith standard from that era would be borderline insane.  I think more details are required. Is there anything special about the typewriter? Which model are we talking about?

2. Given that I don't know which model you're asking about it, I can't comment on whether or not it originally came with a case.

3. If this is your first typewriter purchase, I wouldn't ask the seller anything. I'd move on and buy an inexpensive machine for around $50 that is in working condition. The most I've ever spent for a working L.C. Smith standard - in my area - was $55 CDN. Granted it was a 1935 model, and not one from 1914, but that really shouldn't make a lot of difference in the machine's value.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-3-2017 20:54:53  #3

Hello, and welcome. I will try to answer your questions:
1) A 1914 LC Smith can generally be found for less than $200, and often much less. The only justification for a price vastly over that would be if it was professionally restored, or was owned by someone famous. Even for a professionally restored machine, $1400 is unbelievable high, in my opinion.
2) It is a standard typewriter (office/desktop machine) and not a portable, so it would not have a case.
3) If it is $1400, the seller would need to be a trained and experienced typewriter repairman, and the machine would need to be fully and extensively serviced, in perfect working order, reconditioned rubber, and the most fantastic condition imaginable both cosmetically and mechanically. They would need to have the experience and reputation to justify charging such a high amount.

I personally would not recommend paying this much. Keep in mind, you would be paying way more then the resale value of the machine. Even for a professionally reconditioned machine, $1400 is really high. There are few people that can justify selling a typewriter for that amount.

08-3-2017 21:15:23  #4

Uwe wrote:

1. I don't know if it's unheard of, but in my area to pay that kind of money for a regular L.C. Smith standard from that era would be borderline insane.

Your post came in while I was typing, and I think it is a better answer; I think I was too tempered. "Borderline insane" is much closer to how I feel about a $1400 L.C. Smith.

08-3-2017 21:32:51  #5

Thank you both for the answers.  I will try to get more information about this specific machine and post it here.  What is the best place to search for these "vintage" typewriters?

08-3-2017 21:42:56  #6

Also, I came across this typewriter/seller on ebay... in both of your opinions, (1) is this machine in good shape based on the pictures/what is written about it and (2) is the price for the machine justified?

08-3-2017 21:43:34  #7

08-3-2017 22:24:43  #8

For the Royal, the guy seems to push the envelope of what the market will bear; and he knows how to take complimentary pictures.  I have the same machine in similar tuned, and clean condition I picked up for a small fraction of that listing; and is a very good typer "right out of the box" as they say.  With the shipping cost, the eBay listing is close to a $900 investment and the platen is still the old one.  I planned, and do, use mine a lot so I went the extra mile to have the platen recovered.  While it's not absolutely required, a hard platen is hard on keys and much noisier than one that's up to spec.

Like waiting for the vintage truck or car, the key is patience and separating the high ballers from the more reasonable deals.

08-3-2017 22:43:07  #9

Ah, I see.  Seems like there is a lot more to consider behind the scenes... and that buying these machines isn't as easy as finding one and buying one right off the bat.  

Is ebay the best place to buy these machines?  I also found another "dealer" (http://www.vintagetypewritershoppe.com/Vintage_Typewriters.html), but, since I am new to this hobby, I don't have a great idea at what prices I should be looking for.

09-3-2017 00:30:22  #10

The Achilles's heel of eBay on heavy items is the shipping.  Not so much the cost but does the other end know what they're doing.  Many a machine has been knocked around, destroyed, or bent from well intentioned but woefully inadequate packaging.  I bought a decent 50's Hermes at a good price long distance, but it was seriously beat up in shipping.  The seller was heartbroken, just no clue. Newsprint and foam peanuts aren't enough.  Insurance covered it, and the chassis was donated to a repair shop for parts.  eBay, and craigslist are good indicators for value, and joining groups like this and on Facebook are other avenues for becoming aware of value versus collectability.  Visit 2nd hand stores, consignment shops,(now AKA antique malls), swap meets, flea markets.  It's kinda fun.  I picked up a real nice 40's Remington Quiet Deluxe portable for $20 at an automotive swap meet.  The case was muddy, the machine covered in a haze of dirt, but at the end of the day the guy wanted it gone. From $50 to $20 is not a bad deal.  Some cleaning brought the shine out, it only needed some lube as the innerds were still clean and it types and looks practically new.  I can see maybe to buy a really nice 1920's to 1940's machine, refurbished to type ready condition is gonna cost, $150-$350?  For me something a few bucks and TLC is more my liking; then if it needs expert attention, supporting the local typewriter repair is good too.

Board footera