You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-3-2017 16:00:04  #1

Foundry typeface list

Is there an online list of the type foundries that make the individual type bars themselves as listed by code?

I have a Yiddish typewriter from 1930 and am curious where the Hebrew typeface would have been made. I can see was looks like P84 on every key except one. On one of the keys that does not have Hebrew characters--specifically the (! ,) key, it is A84, suggesting it was taken from another batch of Latin-based keys.

20-3-2017 16:32:07  #2

Re: Foundry typeface list

Outsourced type slugs can sometimes be identified by maker's marks, but most inhouse slugs only had reference numbers or letters, so when talking about typeset identification, which is often interrelated to the manufacturer of the typewriter, it's important to know the typewriter make and model.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-3-2017 22:13:32  #3

It's a 1930 Remington Portable Model 3, if anyone knows where these slugs would have been made.

21-3-2017 06:27:58  #4

Richard Polt might be a good source, since Remington portables are a specialty of his: http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/

21-3-2017 10:35:11  #5

nick wrote:

It's a 1930 Remington Portable Model 3, if anyone knows where these slugs would have been made.

I'd be willing to bet that they were made in-house by Remington. The company had its own typeface designers who would have worked on specialty alphabet characters. There were a number of typeface manufacturers that offered specialty and replacement type slugs for Remington models, but the slugs you mentioned do not have the marks of any of the firms that I'm familiar with.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera