Typewriter Talk

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-3-2017 05:22:53  #1

Lonely little petunia in an onion patch

Spotted in a pub window yesterday: a Standard Folding looking a bit bedraggled.
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s546/OldGreyBeard59/IMG_20170320_125343364_zps1xf8abjl.jpg

21-3-2017 05:27:36  #2

Re: Lonely little petunia in an onion patch

Oh how I miss 'junk' shops.  Here in Australia they are few and far between, and the prices are silly.

Sincerely,
beak.

21-3-2017 05:32:14  #3

They seem to have largely gone here (UK) as well, at least where I live. The window in the pic is a display window for a pub.  It is North facing in a narrow ginnel so there won't be much sun damage. Seems a sad end to stuff that was once so useful.  The sewing machine as well. But I've got a manual sewing machine & a Standard Folding.

21-3-2017 09:46:02  #4

Sad. Where are you, out of curiosity?

21-3-2017 09:55:24  #5

Bedfordshire

21-3-2017 09:59:44  #6

Does the word "pub" have other meanings than a name for a stereotypical drinking establishment? I've spent a lot of time in pubs, arguably too much time, but I've never come across one that had a display window of any kind. On the other hand I have seen typewriters in pubs being used as display pieces, which were equally sad sights as OldGreyBeard's Corona 3.

Behold the fate of this poor Royal 10 that I spotted in a pub in Antigua. It looked like it had been literally thrown on top of the bookcase to spend the rest of its days beside a pile of cricket equipment. I should have offered the pub's owner a few bucks for the spools, but didn't think of it at the time...

http://i.imgur.com/qKzgx8r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zahqfYG.jpg

"To save time is to lengthen life."

21-3-2017 10:05:33  #7

I think the best description (by an American I think) of an English pub is that its a sort of communal living room. That pretty much sums up what the best ones are like.

21-3-2017 10:58:07  #8

Then we are talking about a pub in its classic definition of the word. Had you considered talking to the pub owner with a display window (still a novelty to me) to see if the Corona 3 and sewing machine might be for sale? You might find a sympathetic ear when you explain that you lovingly collect and bring back such neglected machines back to life...

"To save time is to lengthen life."

21-3-2017 13:45:54  #9

Strangely enough it has occurred to me

21-3-2017 13:53:50  #10

He may ask (rightly) what he's supposed to put in the window to replace the typewriter! But a little cash may make him more tractable.

Board footera