You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-11-2013 01:59:29  #1

What machine for WWII American warship?

Todays problem at work; what machine would have been used on board a US navy warship in WWII?

I'm guessing that it would be a bigger 'standard' machine by Remington or S/C - one with no frills!

Any suggestions appreciated - and anyone willing to hire us such a machine (in Sydney, Australia for a few weeks) appreciated even more.  Does not have to work, just sit there looking mean!

Thanks all!

Sincerely,
beak.

14-11-2013 16:29:21  #2

Re: What machine for WWII American warship?

Ironically, I've been working on a blog entry about this subject. However, to sum it up, you want to use a Royal. Several Royal models were used, some even had the word Navy written on the the machine. There were two types of machine in use, regular typewriters (both standards and portables) for use in the ship's various offices, and "radio mill" machines. Essentially, these models were built so that they could only type in uppercase letters and were used to transcribe radio messages.

I have a list of models along with lots of photos, but they're all on another computer, so this is the best I can offer for now.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-11-2013 20:02:51  #3

Thanks - Royal it is.  Have identified suitable models, now just a question of fonding them.

Could I have the link to that blog when you have amoment.
Thanks again.

Sincerely,
beak.

14-11-2013 22:44:51  #4

beak wrote:

Could I have the link to that blog when you have amoment.

I haven't posted it yet, but I'll let you know when I get around to finishing it.

To be safe, I would look for a Royal KMM for an example of a standard, or an Arrow for an example of a portable. Most machines I've identified from photos were Royals, but the Navy used other brands too such as the Universal Standard as shown below.

A Royal KMM in use in a ship's radio room:

An example of an Underwood used by the U.S. Navy:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-11-2013 03:49:57  #5

Royal KMM in grey found and acquired - surprisingly cheaply, as it happens.  Thanks again for the help, and shall posts stills at some remote point in the future; after the film is released.

I have heard that Royals are, generally, some of the most reliable machines ever made in the USA.  I have never owned or used one; perhaps it's time to look around for an example.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
beak.

23-11-2013 06:45:08  #6

I read somewhere (possibly here) that Underwoods were preferred by the U.S. Armed Forces due to their reliability. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

23-11-2013 11:11:49  #7

Good job sourcing that Royal.

I looked at a KMM the day before yesterday, a 1946 model, which was in great shape. I really wanted the machine as I have a several Royal standards (they're all fantastic typers) such as the KMG and FP that succeeded the KMM. However, the seller wouldn't go lower than $60 so I passed. I've never paid more than $30 for a Royal standard, so I'll wait for another KMM to come along. They're fairly commmon in these parts as they were also manucfactured in Canada at the time.

With respect to the Underwood Universal (pictured above), it's a decent enough portable, but it doesn't come close to the feel and performance of the Royal portables at the time. Given the choice between the two (I own and have typed extensively with them) I would certainly opt for the Royal. However, what I can't speak to is the reliablity of the machines, which in a military role is perhaps a more important criteria than a typer's preference.

Board footera