You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-11-2013 18:14:02  #1

Smith-Corona Electric Portable

I swore that I would never buy an electric typewriter. And now I have two of them.

The first electric was a no-brainer; gifted to me by a person who I was buying a manual typewriter from, I figured that I could always sell it for a few bucks if it didn't like it. The second electric, which is the subject of this post, was just too iconic a machine to pass on when the opportunity arose to buy it.

The Smith-Corona Electric Portable, which made its debut in 1957, was the first electric portable typewriter to be mass produced, but you had to pay through the teeth to own one. Expensive machines in their day, Smith-Corona marketed them as a premium model meant for premium people and consequently they never sold in the same numbers as manual machines.

The Electric Portable is nearly identical in appearance to the venerable models of Smith-Corona's Super-5 series, which included models such as the Clipper, Silent, Sterling, Super, and Silent-Super. And that's a good thing. I consider those typewriters to be some of the best portable machines ever built, both in form and function, which means that my Electric Portable was worth buying just for its looks alone.

Aside from missing some of the script in its model badge, the typer is cosmetically in very nice condition. It's mechanical condition was another matter, and the reason why I got the machine for only $20. After plugging it in - a novelty for me - and turning it on, the motor did hum reassuringly to indicate that it was ready to get to work. However, a quick test of its various functions revealed that none of the keys on the left side of the keyboard worked. 

Figuring that it would be an easy fix, I sat down this afternoon and poked around under its hood in the hope that I could get it working. The problem turned out to be a simple, but time consuming fix. Someone had loaded both the segment and the support bridge underneath the machine with oil. Thick oil. Black from dirt and thick enough for automotive duty, the oil was preventing the electrically actuated type bars from travelling through their entire stroke properly. 

After a lot of cleaning, and several sheets of test paper, the machine now types as good as it looks. Unfortunately, what it types is painfully ugly (see below) and a disappointment for someone who types a lot.

As much as I really like this typewriter and would like to use it on a regular basis, I can't get around its terrible typeface. I could swap out the type slugs with those from another Super-5 model that I own, but I don't think it's worth investing that much time into this machine. The Electric Portable may not be that common, but it's far from being a rare machine, so it would make more sense to just buy another one, one with a different typeface. And when you consider that it's an electric, having a spare machine for parts becomes a very good idea.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-11-2013 02:24:59  #2

Re: Smith-Corona Electric Portable

This is interesting - not seen the like.  Wondering if this typeface was for a special use; visual impairment (not producing it, but compensating for it) or perhaps a military (or police) use - many such typed in caps only, as I expect you know.  What about for telex or telegram?

Sincerely,
beak.

19-11-2013 17:05:27  #3

I agree that it does look like a telegram typeface, but I think those machines were only equipped with uppercase letters - all the text was the same size - as for example in this early '60s telegram that I happened to have sitting on my desk:

With the machine working properly now I've typed out a few pages and although I am getting a little used to the typeface, it really makes a poor choice for text-intensive documents. The worst part is that it's difficult to pick out words that have been capitalized from those that haven't.

One thought to continue on your suggestions, I did read somewhere that Smith-Corona did market these machines to professional businesses such as lawyers. Maybe such a font had its place on legal documents?  

There's definitely no way this could have been for the visually impaired. It's a 12 pitch typeface, which means it's tiny on the page. I can't read it without putting on a pair of reading glasses, so I can't imagine how a person with any kind of a visual impairment would cope with it.

I really do have a preference for 12 pitch though. Less frequent carriage returns and more text per page is a boon when you type as much as I do.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-11-2013 00:51:23  #4

12 cpi is certainly my preference too.  I thought 12 cpi was too small for comfortable reading at first, but then noticed how much bigger this type is than the normal printing in a book; some paperbacks are microscopic in comparison.

I wonder if some of the problem with adjusting to the typeface as shown in the picture could be the horizontal alignment.  I find the little inconsistencies in height particularly startling and jarring in this bold text.

Sincerely,
beak.

20-11-2013 01:09:56  #5

Did you meant the vertical alignment?

I find it quaint that the letters have a mind of their own. A bunch of gypsies is what they are. A rebellious and free-spirited lot that you can't tie down or demand that they lay themselves out in an orderly fashion.

Addressing the alignment issue with this typewriter is a challenge that I'm not going to undertake. I'm just happy that the 55 year-old electric still works and doesn't blow the mains when I plug it in. I suspect that the alignment might improve with more use; most of the keys that aren't lining up properly are those that didn't work to begin with and it could be that the oily sludge that is still oozing out of the segment has something to do with it.  

20-11-2013 03:27:46  #6

Perhaps my terminology is wrong.  If letters are too high or too low, does one correctly call that horizontal alignment, or vertical; either could be thought to apply.

Sincerely,
beak.

20-11-2013 12:37:15  #7

It would be considered vertical alignment since you're discussing moving the letter up or down on a vertical axis.

22-11-2013 17:55:03  #8

I picked up one of those electric SM about the same year, haven`t used it lately--it even has  battery which works, but dosen`t hold the charge long--can`t remember the font just now, but I`ll look it over.  I paid $7 US money for it.  But it does work.  

22-11-2013 18:42:29  #9

Notquite_there wrote:

I picked up one of those electric SM about the same year, haven`t used it lately--it even has  battery which works, but dosen`t hold the charge long--can`t remember the font just now, but I`ll look it over.  I paid $7 US money for it.  But it does work.  

A battery? Which machine are you talking about? The Smith-Corona Electric Portable wouldn't last very long on a battery unless that battery was the size that you use for a car since its motor runs constantly and draws around 40 watts.

26-11-2013 23:11:32  #10

I would consider it a lucky day if I bought a typewriter, and found out it had some type face other than common elite or pica.  This type face reminds me of the labels on prescriptions years ago, when they were all typed up individually.    I have many fonts for my selectric, and one of them is two different sizes of all caps, but more formal than this. I also have a Selectric ball called "Manifold" which is all caps.  Good for typing invoices.

And, come to think of it, these two sizes of all caps reminds me of stock "tip" sheets my Dad used to get from his broker.  But, maybe those were just teletype print outs and I don't remember them exactly.

Board footera