You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-4-2017 22:44:50  #1

Help: No bell ring on Smith Corona Silent Super

Hello all! 

I just made my first typewriter purchase a week ago and have been absolutely loving the experience of my Smith Corona Silent Super. The only problem that I cannot seem to figure out is that the bell does not ring when the page comes to an end. I cannot seem to find any mechanism in the back that pushes the bell lever to ring the bell. I know it rings free and clear when I activate it, but I have to do it by hand. Am I missing something here??

Ryan

25-4-2017 09:10:53  #2

Re: Help: No bell ring on Smith Corona Silent Super

I have to ask the obvious since it's your first machine: have you set the right margin, and if so, does it stop the carriage when it reaches it? Assuming the margin has been set, there could be a number of things going on: one of the components in the mechanism could be bent out of shape, the gong spring (or some other part) could be missing, or the actuating lever might be seized. 

​You need to remove the back cover of the machine to get at most of those parts. I'd suggest doing that and cleaning all of the pivot points of the bell's levers. If while doing that the problem doesn't make itself obvious, you'll have to post a few pictures so I can see if everything is there.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-4-2017 18:59:42  #3

The margins are set correctly and everything else functions fine (I have already typed 15-20 pages without fault). I looked through the back, and removed the back cover a week ago (forgot to take pictures), but the lever moved fine and with tension, the bell sounded, and it appeared fine, itere just didn't seem to be any linkage from the carriage to the bell. I can take it off again tomorrow if that helps, But what pictures are you looking for exactly?

30-4-2017 22:40:06  #4

Same problem but wrong typewriter. I will post this photo of an SM-3 anyway on the excuse that the machine may have a similar mechanism:

When I find a spring which fits between those attachment points I will know for sure but right now the bell only rings intermittently, while it sounds clearly if I flick the lever mounting the small toggle.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

19-12-2020 20:58:00  #5

Same problem here.  1954 Silent Super with a dead bell.  Linkage works, Striker hammer hits the bell, but just ‘clunk’.  Striker moves nearly the whole distance inside the bell.  Loosened the bell, rotated, cleaned around it, retightened the screw holding it, no change.  Bell is not touching any part of the frame.  Is it possible bells just die?  What else to do?  New to this sport. 

20-12-2020 09:26:56  #6

The bell hammer at "rest" should not be in contact with the bell...but just a tad off the surface.  Had this problem with my 1957 Silent Super until I formed (bent) the bell hammer arm a bit so if hovers off of the bell surface just the smallest amount.  My bell rings and vibrates now, but it is very quiet.  Maybe part of the Silent" part S-C was aiming for...??? he he he    One day I might try a bell from a different machine.  Think I have 2 parts machines now...

20-12-2020 11:12:31  #7

Pete E:  Thanks for the help.  I've got the hammer resting just off the bell, but not much change.  Turns out the bell rings at a frequency I can't hear very well.  My wife hears it faintly.  I think the typewriter is just living up to the Silent Super silent promise.  These machines have their own personality it seems.  It will be good to hear if a bell swap sometime in the future makes a difference.  

20-12-2020 13:51:10  #8

Cape, 
You can unscrew the bell from the chassis, clean the surfaces where it contacts the chassis then screw it back down tight. You can also turn the bell here and there and it may affect the volume a bit. If you remove the bell, give it a good cleaning all over, as anything on the outside or inside will reduce the volume by preventing vibration. Also, you can adjust how much the hammer hits. It will be loudest if it just kisses the bell then comes back to repose. If it is really close to the bell, it may actually strike it more than once, interrupting the vibration. It's a real hit an miss of trying out tuning tricks. Good luck.
Phil Forrest

20-12-2020 14:12:48  #9

All good ideas.  I appreciate the help, great forum.  Thanks

20-12-2020 16:11:52  #10

Hi CC

Not sure if Phil intended a pun when he said striking the bell is a real hit-n-miss operation, or if it's just my sense of humor. Anyhow, just looking at one of my Silent-Supers, the bell sits awfully close to the underside of the rear frame rail, maybe close enough to touch at times and disturb the resonance. On trick that I'll often try on a dead sounding bell is to insert a close fitting lock washer between the bell and its support. This reduces the area of contact between the bell and the supporting structure allowing the bell to resonate more freely.

I know a couple of deaf people, and as I get older, my hearing is getting poorer, so a thought has been playing in the back of my mind for a while now. I have often wondered if some sort of pop-up flag or easily visible indicator that is activated by the bell trigger could be attached to the right hand end of the carriage. The flag would have to re-set itself as the carriage was returned so would be ready to pop up again at the end of the next line. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera