You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-5-2017 17:25:10  #1

Olivetti Lettera 32 - Platen removal doubt

​Can someone help me on how to remove this platen? The other side was easy: I got it off spinning it manually, without tools. But I can't figure this side out. I tried to do the same thing I did with the other side, but didn't work. Any clues?

​Thanks a lot!

02-5-2017 22:56:54  #2

Re: Olivetti Lettera 32 - Platen removal doubt

Hi Chicoliro

​When I dismantled an Olivetti 32, I had the exact opposite problem, I didn't know if the left platen knob was right or left hand thread, it's right hand. Now to the right platen knob. Move the carriage end cover back into place and you'll see 2 very small set screws at 90º to each other on the shank of the platen knob (I can just see one of them in picture #3). Loosen these screws about 2 - 3 turns each and the knob should simply slide off the platen shaft. Hope this helps and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

03-5-2017 08:19:40  #3

Yep, I can see the 2 little holes, but I don't have the appropriate screwdriver

04-5-2017 00:24:41  #4

Hi Again

​Depending on the age of the machine, these screws may require a very small flat blade screwdriver or a hex wrench (Allen key) of the right size. If it's a hex wrench, it will be metric as the machine was made in Europe. You may need to take the machine to a tool supply shop and get them to match up the correct driver. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

04-5-2017 07:59:53  #5

Hi Skywatcher

I see. I'll try to find a tool that fits. Thank you!

05-5-2017 03:39:26  #6

Be sure to get a good quality allen key that fits perfectly.  The grub screws are notorious for seizing/rusting in place.  You may even have to turn the allen key with a pair of pliers to release them.  If the worst comes to the worst, it is just about possible to remove the platen with the left hand carriage cover still attached.  But try removing the grub screws first !  Good luck :-)

Board footera