You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-5-2017 02:58:24  #1

Olympia SG1 needs intense cleaning

Hello all,

there was this Olympia SG1, which my gerat-grandfather had for his business, standing in the basement of my grandparents house for 30 years now. I always knew that it was there but it took 20 years until I got interested in typewriters. My great-grandfather also had a SM3 which is nearly mint and I was happy using it for some years now, because I live in a small flat and I don't have much space for a standard typewriter. Anyway, after all the positive comments about the SG 1 in the internet, I got interested in that machine and I decided to restore it.

So, I carried it into my flat and I started to disassemble it. Unfortunately, the whole machine is full of dirt, although it is working well. The types are also a litte bit rusty. After one week, I managed to clean the types and some parts of the machine with grain alcohol and what we call "lighter gas" (I guess
its a type of mineral spirits) in germany. That worked well for the parts which I could disassemble completely like the "decimal tabulator" and some other parts. But now I got stuck. So here is my question:

Is there an easy way to disassamble the whole machine into smart aller building groups? As an alternative, is there - based on the attached pictures - an easy way to clean the inner parts which I can only reach with a brush but not with a cleaning rag? The parts I already cleaned needed a lot of pressure to become really clean.

Which cleaning solution could I use for an effective cleaning? I also thought about dunk cleaning, but that took me a lot of effort if I even manage to do it in my small flat. Furthermore, I don't have a tool to release the keys from the type bars.

I will attach some pictures to show you what I am talking about:

https://flickr.com/photos/150400436@N08/sets/72157680683096402

Christian

Last edited by Uwe (04-5-2017 11:55:47)

04-5-2017 11:57:24  #2

Re: Olympia SG1 needs intense cleaning

​Please read the FAQ which has specific instructions for posting images within a thread.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera