You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-5-2017 15:13:04  #1

Underwood front cover doesn't fit

I removed the front cover of my 1947 Underwood shortly after I got it and had it off for about a month while doing cleaning and repairs. When I put it back on, only one side would fit in its spot, the other side sticking out slightly. I assume this is because whoever owned it previously never had the cover off long and having it gone for a month caused everything to relax. I did have trouble with some screws not lining up with their holes and one screw has to be in a certain position or the bell won't ring. I did try using a clamp to squeeze things back together but maybe I didn't have it on long enough to make a difference. Has anyone had the same kind of trouble? Or know a solution? It doesn't hinder the performance, but I'd like to fix it if possible.

24-5-2017 14:15:12  #2

Re: Underwood front cover doesn't fit

Sometimes you have to loosen all the screws involved, and then tighten them all up together -- parts tend to need some "give" as they are installed, and if things are too tight, it won't go back together properly. I have certainly found with typewriters that things do fit together properly, but generally only one way! So loosen things up and be patient as you reinstall.

25-5-2017 14:14:06  #3

Re: Underwood front cover doesn't fit

Thanks for the advice, although I'm not sure which screws will make a difference. The only ones I currently have partially unscrewed are the two that hold the bar for the margin guides/bell activator. If they're tightened all the way, the bell doesn't ring and the cover still doesn't fit. But regarding the part with the ruler on it (sorry, does it have a name?) I did have to have one of the screw holes drilled bigger to get it back on, so maybe that threw things off.

Board footera