You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-6-2017 17:20:26  #1

Typebars stuck in cork

Hey guys I've got an issue here with something I picked up recently. Montana Luxe.
Behind where the keys rest there is a thin layer of cork. I don't know what this is called but a couple of the keys are starting to dig holes into the Cork, so deep in fact that  they can't move freely, and they won't lift/strike the Platen when you press on a key.
Is there a replacement/fix for this? Recommendations?

I'll upload a couple pictures in just a minute

27-6-2017 17:22:53  #2

Re: Typebars stuck in cork

Also before we go any further, yes I am certain that this (cork backing) is what's causing the problem 

27-6-2017 17:25:07  #3

27-6-2017 17:27:44  #4

And you can see how some of them are different heights I'm not sure if that's great for typing either… 

27-6-2017 17:34:50  #5

I don't think the cork is original. I'd remove it and replace it with a strip of cut-to-fit felt.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-6-2017 17:46:43  #6

Yeah that makes sense
I get the feeling this thing was "tinkered with "and not in a good way…

28-6-2017 18:02:50  #7

Or you might be able to remove the cork in one piece, turn it upside down and re-glue it to the typebar rest with some UHU or similar glue.  Not too sure if the cork is original but some typewriter manufacturers used cork so it is quite legitimate.

28-6-2017 20:51:14  #8

In the interim, I picked up a roll of adhesive felt, cut a single piece matching the length of the Cork, and slapped it right on top of it. Took all of about five minutes. 

It's not a permanent fix and the type bars are bunched together slightly more but not enough to impact typing ability. The felt seems to work fine, if anything I think I would strip off the cork and just replace it with another piece of this adhesive felt

Board footera