You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-7-2017 10:21:31  #1

Good price for a Remington 5 Streamline with issues

Hello all,

I’m going to preface this by saying that I understand that there are a lot of variables in my question, and that pictures would help tremendously. I can’t provide pictures, but I will try to describe what I can though.

I’m wondering what you would say a good price is for a Remington Portable 5 Streamline model that could use some refurbishing. To note: I would be buying this in person from a Craigslist seller rather than a shop or dealer. I’m just trying to get a feel for what a decent price is. I have a decided lack of trust in the

Here’s my notes on the typer: All of the functions work properly and all of the keys move. The carriage advances and the ribbon wheels turn. The machine needs a thorough cleaning inside and out, and will probably need some minor adjustments and perhaps some oil. The platen [is that pronounced plat-en or play-ten?] will need to be resurfaced. There are a few minor paint scratches, but otherwise the paint is in decent shape. It comes with a case, which is sturdy but showing its age. There are a few small spots of surface rust on some of the innards.

If anyone has an idea of what would be a reasonable offer for something in this condition, I would greatly appreciate it. Again, I know there are a ton of these on Ebay, but the wildly inconsistent pricing there makes it useless to someone like me. I can try and answer any questions you think would be pertinent.

Thanks!

--Tric

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

07-7-2017 11:25:47  #2

Re: Good price for a Remington 5 Streamline with issues

$40 - $50 (that's been my average buying price for that particular model) but in reality it completely depends on what typewriters in general sell for in your area. What are the average asking prices for all the Craigslist typewriters in your immediate area? There's nothing about the model - based on your description - that commands a premium, so I would pay what is reflective of all typewriters in your market.

​FYI, these types of questions are often placed in this thread: Possible Acquistions Thread

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-7-2017 11:51:54  #3

Uwe wrote:

$40 - $50 (that's been my average buying price for that particular model) but in reality it completely depends on what typewriters in general sell for in your area. What are the average asking prices for all the Craigslist typewriters in your immediate area? There's nothing about the model - based on your description - that commands a premium, so I would pay what is reflective of all typewriters in your market.

​FYI, these types of questions are often placed in this thread: Possible Acquistions Thread

Ah, my apologies. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the response though. Your price was about what I figured to offer them. I live in a relatively rural area, so there aren't too many typewriters for sale on the area's Craigslist page to compare them to. And even the one decent-sized city in the area doesn't offer a whole lot of variety, so at best I can get a hazy idea of the going rate. Thanks again! 

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

07-7-2017 16:47:24  #4

Hi, Tric:

As a former Wisconsin Badger, I'm certainly familiar with your neck of the woods! Even though I'm now on the East Coast, I do keep an occasional eye on Craigslist listings throughout the Midwest (since I have friends and family there). Having done that for a few years, I've generally been impressed with the variety (and price) of machines that pop up on Craigslist in Minneapolis and Madison. (Probably has something to do with the universities and state capitals, as I believe Uwe pointed out on some other thread.) Milwaukee... not so much. Still--if you're not averse to a little drive now and then, you can probably get some decent finds at good prices, with a little patience. Good luck! 

07-7-2017 19:21:48  #5

Markmotown wrote:

Hi, Tric:

As a former Wisconsin Badger, I'm certainly familiar with your neck of the woods! Even though I'm now on the East Coast, I do keep an occasional eye on Craigslist listings throughout the Midwest (since I have friends and family there). Having done that for a few years, I've generally been impressed with the variety (and price) of machines that pop up on Craigslist in Minneapolis and Madison. (Probably has something to do with the universities and state capitals, as I believe Uwe pointed out on some other thread.) Milwaukee... not so much. Still--if you're not averse to a little drive now and then, you can probably get some decent finds at good prices, with a little patience. Good luck! 

Thanks! I just recently decided to watch craigslist routinely. So I will keep checking.

08-7-2017 11:31:15  #6

Watch your pocketbook! Craigslist will empty it out rapidly if you find too many typewriters at once.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

08-7-2017 12:54:05  #7

colrehogan wrote:

Watch your pocketbook! Craigslist will empty it out rapidly if you find too many typewriters at once.

Haha! I would ammend that to say "Any place that sells typewriters will empty it"

08-7-2017 21:32:28  #8

True enough!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera