Typewriter Talk

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



15-7-2017 10:08:26  #1


Ribbon needed for a Smith Corona Skyriter

I got a skywriter at a flea market for $3.
I just really like the look. It has the right amount of patina.

Anyway, it seems all the keys and everything function correctly but it needs a new ribbon.

What ribbon do I need?

And is there by any chance a video out there that will correctly show me how to change the ribbon? I am a novice when it comes to typewriters.

Thanks so much!

 

15-7-2017 10:28:54  #2


Re: Ribbon needed for a Smith Corona Skyriter

PS. For basic lubrication, can I use something like balistol or rem oil or do I need a specific typewriter oil?
Thanks again

     Thread Starter
 

15-7-2017 10:49:51  #3


Re: Ribbon needed for a Smith Corona Skyriter

I'm pretty sure you can find replacement ribbons on amazon Etsy, I think skyriter has smaller spools...

Im definitely not the forum expert but I know oiling is something you do ONLY AFTER  the machine has been thoroughly cleaned with something like denatured alcohol. There are also specific points to oil and more importantly specific points NOT TO OIL.
You should be able to search the forum to find how exactly it should be done.

FWIW I've read on here that sewing machine oil is an acceptable lubricant.

 

15-7-2017 10:56:45  #4


Re: Ribbon needed for a Smith Corona Skyriter

schyllerwade wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can find replacement ribbons on amazon Etsy, I think skyriter has smaller spools...

Im definitely not the forum expert but I know oiling is something you do ONLY AFTER the machine has been thoroughly cleaned with something like denatured alcohol. There are also specific points to oil and more importantly specific points NOT TO OIL.
You should be able to search the forum to find how exactly it should be done.

FWIW I've read on here that sewing machine oil is an acceptable lubricant.

Thank you!
For cleaning the machine I have read that alcohol is not good to use and that mineral spirits or lighter fluid should be used. Is this true?

Thanks!

     Thread Starter
 

15-7-2017 14:52:10  #5


Re: Ribbon needed for a Smith Corona Skyriter

I would recommend a shorter ribbon such as for a calculator.  You would have to spool it onto the spools in your machine, but that isn't too hard.  As for how to change the ribbon, there is a manual for the typewriter here:  http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/tw-manuals.html  and you just need to scroll to the Smith-Corona Skyriter to find a copy of it.  It isn't a video, but may help you.


Smith Premier 4 typewriters are cool!
 

15-7-2017 22:27:36  #6


Re: Ribbon needed for a Smith Corona Skyriter

Hi Comma

​As others have said, the Skyriter takes a standard ½" ribbon which is reasonably available. However, only Smith Corona series 3 spools fit the Skyriter, so if your unit came with spools, you're good to go. The trick to removing the old ribbon from the spool is simple, but a little care must be taken. The ribbon is held onto the core of the spool with a 'C' shaped clip which is easily removed by simply pulling the ribbon off the spool, just be sure to wrap your hand around the spool or the clip may go flying across the room.

​To install the new ribbon onto the spool, lay the ribbon over the core of the spool with about 1" of ribbon to spare. Set the 'C' shaped clip over the ribbon and press it into place around the core. A little practice makes perfect. All the best,

​Sky

 

16-7-2017 09:23:26  #7


Re: Ribbon needed for a Smith Corona Skyriter

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Comma

​As others have said, the Skyriter takes a standard ½" ribbon which is reasonably available. However, only Smith Corona series 3 spools fit the Skyriter, so if your unit came with spools, you're good to go. The trick to removing the old ribbon from the spool is simple, but a little care must be taken. The ribbon is held onto the core of the spool with a 'C' shaped clip which is easily removed by simply pulling the ribbon off the spool, just be sure to wrap your hand around the spool or the clip may go flying across the room.

​To install the new ribbon onto the spool, lay the ribbon over the core of the spool with about 1" of ribbon to spare. Set the 'C' shaped clip over the ribbon and press it into place around the core. A little practice makes perfect. All the best,

​Sky

Thank you!
Would a regular sized length of ribbon not work?
All of the typewriter ribbon is red/black and I don't think my typewriter has that capability.

If I just bought universal spools with 1/2" ribbon would they fit if I put them onto my current spools?

Thanks!
 

     Thread Starter
 

16-7-2017 20:45:06  #8


Re: Ribbon needed for a Smith Corona Skyriter

I ordered several new ribbons off of Amazon. If still keep your spools just in case future ones are not available.

The ribbons I got work great, although the plastic spools they came with were of lesser quality than my originals. They work, but the plastic is flimsier.

 

21-5-2018 21:22:45  #9


Re: Ribbon needed for a Smith Corona Skyriter

comma wrote:

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Comma

​As others have said, the Skyriter takes a standard ½" ribbon which is reasonably available. However, only Smith Corona series 3 spools fit the Skyriter, so if your unit came with spools, you're good to go. The trick to removing the old ribbon from the spool is simple, but a little care must be taken. The ribbon is held onto the core of the spool with a 'C' shaped clip which is easily removed by simply pulling the ribbon off the spool, just be sure to wrap your hand around the spool or the clip may go flying across the room.

​To install the new ribbon onto the spool, lay the ribbon over the core of the spool with about 1" of ribbon to spare. Set the 'C' shaped clip over the ribbon and press it into place around the core. A little practice makes perfect. All the best,

​Sky

Thank you!
Would a regular sized length of ribbon not work?
All of the typewriter ribbon is red/black and I don't think my typewriter has that capability.

If I just bought universal spools with 1/2" ribbon would they fit if I put them onto my current spools?

Thanks!
 

Having just picked up a decent UK-built 1961 Skyriter over the weekend, with dried out ribbon, I'd like to know the answer to the above question myself. My guess is that a standard 2 inch spool would hold too much ribbon to spool onto the smaller Skyriter spools, but I'd like someone to confirm this one way or the other. Thanks!

 

22-5-2018 00:09:17  #10


Re: Ribbon needed for a Smith Corona Skyriter

Hi Fleetwing

​The standard 2" spools are loaded with anything from 10 yards to 16 yards of ribbon. The Michaels 2" spools come with only 6 yards and the Smith-Corona series 3 spools with the wide center P/N 16360 come loaded with 21 feet (7 yards). Generally I load the Skyriter spools with no more than 10 yards of bulk ribbon, or split a 16 yard length between 2 machines. Hope this gives you some ideas

​Sky

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

Typewriter Talk