You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-7-2017 09:52:54  #1

Help identifying this Smith Corona Skyriter & a question about ribbon

Hi guys.
This is the first typewriter I have bought in a long time.
I spent some time cleaning it up and getting the keys and everything working properly.

Two questions.

1. Does anybody know which year/model this is? I can't seem to find many that have all green keys like this. The serial is 2Y 225643 (I took the cover off in the photo)

2. Is the ribbon on these machines supposed to automatically feed or do I need to manually spin the ribbon spool when I want fresh ink? It doesn't seem to automatically move the spools when I type

Thank you!

21-7-2017 10:02:25  #2

Re: Help identifying this Smith Corona Skyriter & a question about ribbon

1. It's a 1954 Smith-Corona Skyriter. And green keys are fairly common (a few of my Skyriters have green keys).
​2. One of the two spools should be driven automatically with each keystroke. There are a number of reasons why this might not be happening, so I'd suggest starting a new thread for that issue in the Maintenance sub-forum. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-7-2017 10:35:58  #3

Uwe wrote:

1. It's a 1954 Smith-Corona Skyriter. And green keys are fairly common (a few of my Skyriters have green keys).
​2. One of the two spools should be driven automatically with each keystroke. There are a number of reasons why this might not be happening, so I'd suggest starting a new thread for that issue in the Maintenance sub-forum. 

Thank you!
I had seen quite a few like the image of yours you posted (very cool by the way) with the slightly different shade of green alternate keys. I just couldn't seem to find any that had all the same color keys.

I watched a few youtube videos and several people said the older skyriters had to have the spools manually turned. Do all models of the skyriter automatically advance the ribbon?

Thanks again

21-7-2017 12:02:56  #4

comma wrote:

Do all models of the skyriter automatically advance the ribbon?

Yes.

21-7-2017 12:09:47  #5

A typewriter would be fairly useless if you had to turn a spool - which happens to be located under a cover - every time you type a few characters. It would be great if you could provide links to these videos, I'm sure the comments made in them will prove to be very entertaining. V e - turn spool - r y - turn spool - e n t - turn spool - e r t - turn spool - a i - turn spool - n i n g - turn spooli n - turn spool - d e e - turn spool - d ! 

​As for the green keys, Skyriters made from '49 to '53 had two-tone green keys, models from '54 on (like the one below) used all the same colour green keys. Trust me, very common.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera