You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-7-2017 19:35:06  #1

Ultra-portables

Hi there,

I'm interested in getting some thoughts on ultraportables. As a writer, the convenience of a machine so small and portable definitely makes them an attractive option, but I've had my reservations. The only one I've ever handled was an Olivetti 22, and though I didn't get a chance to type on it, it felt...insubstantial. I imagined it bouncing around as I typed, and I didn't think such a small typer would be sturdy enough to last through draft after draft. Plus, I thought that it would feel cramped and restrictive once I had used it for a while.

Of course, this is pure speculation, and I know that every model will have its own personality. So I'm hoping to get a variety of opinions on them. What's your experience been with them? Pros and cons. Are they suitable for heavy use?

Thanks!

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

24-7-2017 10:07:50  #2

Re: Ultra-portables

Are there any in particular that you're looking at?
When you say ultra portable--well, the 22 is bigger than their Lettera 32 I believe. What sizes are you looking at?

Here are the ultra portables I've owned and used. (I'll try to stay in the size range of the 22, at least I think these we all comparable or smaller)

1928 Underwood 3 bank
1968 Hermes rocket
1966 Olivetti 32
1963 Hermes 3000
1951 Erika 8
1950s Montana Luxe
1970s Adler Contessa

I have to say I think the Condition of the machine makes all the difference. I've bought machines that are reputed for their durability and which are often cited as the best of the best, but it could be I just got bad ones that weren't cared for. For instance, while most esteem the 3000 and 32 as among the best typers, I'll pass.

My Hermes rocket, without question an ultra portable, is one of the best typers I have. It's VERY fast, the typing action is quick and highly responsive, and it holds up well in my limited experience with it. That being said, it does shift around on my desk-- I usually put a towel underneath it, which solves the problem as the machines rubber feet are still rather grippy (but not enough to anchor it to desk given its light weight)

My Erika 8 is awesome as well. Much different, bigger and heavier, but so precisely engineered and built with such considerable heft for a portable that it is probably the one machine I would keep above all others. Heavier typing action which can wear out your fingers after a while, but it's good in a way too. Makes writing feel like a good laborious work (more so than it already is).

The Contessa was nice as well, again, it was better kept. Needed less work. Keys were smooth and quick.

Most ultra portables in my experience, will move around, even the heavier ones. The only one I've found that stays completely put on its own is the SG1--far from anything considered portable lol. The rest need a pad or towel or something...although notably, using the rocket in my lap eliminates the shifting around.

24-7-2017 11:15:22  #3

schyllerwade wrote:

Here are the ultra portables I've owned and used. (I'll try to stay in the size range of the 22, at least I think these we all comparable or smaller)

1928 Underwood 3 bank
1968 Hermes rocket
1966 Olivetti 32
1963 Hermes 3000
1951 Erika 8
1950s Montana Luxe
1970s Adler Contessa

An Erika 8 is not an ultra portable, and the Hermes 3000 is definately not an ultra portable. Hermes 3000's are pretty large even for a portable. Ultraportable is a modern term, so there are no clearly defined rules for what counts as an ultraportable, and opinions may vary, but most would not consider those two to be a part of that category.

24-7-2017 11:25:27  #4

schyllerwade wrote:

Are there any in particular that you're looking at?
When you say ultra portable--well, the 22 is bigger than their Lettera 32 I believe.

Interesting. I was under the impression that the 32 was larger.

The typers shifting around as you write is about what I expected. I'd heard good things about the Hermes Rocket, and it is definitely on the list I will be considering. 

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

24-7-2017 11:38:08  #5

I guess I'm looking at typers described as ultraportables in Richard Polt's Typewriter Revolution book (excellent book, by the way [possible review to come]). To give an example, here are a few he lists:

Smith Corona Skyriter
Royal Eldorado
Olympia SF
Olivetti 22

24-7-2017 13:03:45  #6

To each his own in terms of equipment choice, but as a writer I find any standard would be a far better choice over an ultra portable. Even a full-size portable would be more preferable if for some reason a standard wasn't an option.

However, if you are hooked on using an ultra-portable for serious writing, then I would definitely lean toward one of the more robust models, but to narrow the field down it would be helpful to know which performance features you prefer, and what design era - in terms of aesthetics - that you like. And of course you can't overlook a model's availability as a consideration.

​It's sort of pointless listing off a dozen models that I happen to like when they might have characteristics that you might find undesirable. For example, there's a world of difference in type feel between an Olympia SF and an Olivetti Lettera, between a Consul and a Brother, and if you're serious about finding the perfect machine for you it's important to know a little about what kind of typer you are.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-7-2017 13:27:10  #7

Uwe wrote:

To each his own in terms of equipment choice, but as a writer I find any standard would be a far better choice over an ultra portable. Even a full-size portable would be more preferable if for some reason a standard wasn't an option.

However, if you are hooked on using an ultra-portable for serious writing, then I would definitely lean toward one of the more robust models, but to narrow the field down it would be helpful to know which performance features you prefer, and what design era - in terms of aesthetics - that you like. And of course you can't overlook a model's availability as a consideration.

​It's sort of pointless listing off a dozen models that I happen to like when they might have characteristics that you might find undesirable. For example, there's a world of difference in type feel between an Olympia SF and an Olivetti Lettera, between a Consul and a Brother, and if you're serious about finding the perfect machine for you it's important to know a little about what kind of typer you are.

I agree wholeheartedly about the fact that a standard is a better choice. Optimally, I would use a standard whenever I'm home. I'm looking for something to conveniently travel with--something that doesn't take up a lot of room and doesn't weigh my arm down if I have to lug it around. My old Smith-Corona Galaxy 2 was a nice machine, but it could get pretty heavy if I had to carry it around.

As for what design elements I like, I for sure prefer a decent carriage return lever. I had a Remington Portable 2, and the dinky carriage return lever was less than ideal. Otherwise, I don't need too many bells and whistles. Tabs are nice, but I've gotten by with the spacebar before. And as for design aesthetic, I'm not particularly drawn to the designs of any of the ultraportables. The Royal Eldorado is nice enough. As are the Skywriters and the Tippas. But reliability and how nice it is to use trump style--except the Olympia SF. I don't like that design. 

As for type feel, I'm never very good at explaining that. If I can do it by means of comparison, I would say that I much prefer the feel of my 40's Underwood universal to the feel of the 1970's Olivetti 45 I used to have. The Underwood feels more responsive. 

24-7-2017 15:05:37  #8

Ya wasn't sure about the 3000 lol figured it was a bit big. Same for Erika,  I was it I was just trying to help the guy I was much as I could with what I know.
I'm not sure I can contribute anymore to this thread!

I'll simply say my rocket, in the newer body style with the longer return lever and one piece ribbon cover, is by far the best ultraportable I've used.

24-7-2017 15:08:24  #9

schyllerwade wrote:

I'm not sure I can contribute anymore to this thread! ... I'll simply say my rocket, in the newer body style with the longer return lever and one piece ribbon cover, is by far the best ultraportable I've used.

I think you are mistaken, because that is actually quite helpful. I invite all opinions. 

24-7-2017 15:42:19  #10

The Olivetti Lettera 22 is noticeably lighter than the 32, and according to a former chief of assembly line at the Barcelona factory (my trusted friend Pascual), the 22 is definitely better. I don't want to be forced to choose between them, but if we talk about ultra portables the Lettera 32 has to go out. It's portable, but over 3 kg and a bit bulky. As a portable it's great, but if you're looking for something more portable than portable, then there are other options.

The best ultra portable I've tried is the Groma Kolibri. Reliable and surprisingly stable for a machine of its size. It's sturdy and you don't feel like you're going to destroy it by typing a bit too much on it. Then there comes the Gossen Tippa, which is almost as good IMHO. Maybe it tends to wander around a bit more, but you can reduce that by using a... Little table cover? Sorry, right now my brain has decided to forget the English word for "tapete". A piece of soft cloth, you can use to play cards on it as well... What's the word?

The Hermes Baby is great as well, and easier to find. A well looked after one is puer quality.

Then, two other nice machines which are a bit larger:

The aforementioned Olivetti Pluma (or Lettera) 22, which is FAST stable and extremely affordable. Now I'm after one for 0,01€, so you can expect it to be very inexpensive.
And then, the Brother Valiant. This has surprised me, because I didn't expect it to be that sturdy and fast. Looks great, too!

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

Board footera