You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-7-2017 03:29:23  #1

Typeface drawings

Hello there,
Is there anyone on this forum that could tell me why the drawings for the typefaces for typewriters were 50 times larger than the final size?

25-7-2017 07:17:10  #2

Re: Typeface drawings

Typenic wrote:

Hello there,
Is there anyone on this forum that could tell me why the drawings for the typefaces for typewriters were 50 times larger than the final size?

What are you talking about?

Sometimes design drawings are larger than the finished project in order to make it easier to depict fine detail and then the actual engraving or the cutting is done using a pantograph to achieve the reduction.

But what are you asking about?

25-7-2017 08:46:25  #3

Technical drawings are scaled to to ensure that all the necessary data for producing an object is provided to the manufacturer. In the case of small objects, like a typewriter, drawings are scaled up. In the case of large objects, like a skyscraper, it's the opposite.

I've never seen technical drawings for a typewriter, but it's safe to assume that typeface drawings were part of a set of drawings, each with their own specifications that told the manufacturer not only how to make the individual parts, but how to assemble them properly. There is too much math involved to go over here, but I can imagine that the scale of the typeface drawings had to include precise dimensions and angles in relation to other drawings, like for the carriage or the platen for example, so everything would function properly when they came off the assembly line.

Btw, you got me thinking. I would love to own a set of technical drawings for a typewriter. They would look super dope framed and hung my office. I think I'll keep my eyes open for some.

25-7-2017 11:00:24  #4

M. Höhne wrote:

This probably explains it all: http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=20689#p20689

​And I think the replies so far have been good answers.

Welcome to the forum, Typenic; hopefully we can help with all of your questions!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-7-2017 12:31:20  #5

Apologizes if I was not clear enough. I am so wrapped up in this topic that the question for me was clear.
M.Höhne, you gave (partly) the answer I was looking for. The technical drawings for the typefaces used on typewriters are mostly 50 times bigger than the actual type on the typewriter itself and contain the necessarily measurements. I also figured that the 50:1 scale had to do with the details, so thank you for you support of the theory I had about it. I could find no source to quote. Is there any?
And why would the scale by 50:1? Why not 40:1? They were reduced by a pantograph to make the matrices. The pantograph could handle any reduction, or am I wrong?
In advance I would like to apologize for my written English.

25-7-2017 12:52:52  #6

Typenic, do you have a website that shows these drawings? Or could you post images of them here?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-7-2017 15:07:17  #7

Uwe wrote:

M. Höhne wrote:

This probably explains it all: http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=20689#p20689
..... snip .....

Sorry, I don't get it. This goes to a new members page.

25-7-2017 15:18:47  #8

M. Höhne wrote:

Sorry, I don't get it. This goes to a new members page.

​Sorry about that, the link should have taken you to the last post in that thread. In the meantime Typenic has gone into more detail, but this was what I was linking to: 

Typenic wrote:

Hello all, I am also a new member of this typewriter forum. My name is Typenic and I live in The Netherlands. The reason to join this blog is as part of my PhD on typewriter typefaces and hope that people would help me to find some answers I cannot find in literature or on the internet. Hopefully people with a lot of knowledge are so kind to help me out. Thanks very much in advance.

25-7-2017 15:20:01  #9

Typenic wrote:

Apologizes if I was not clear enough. I am so wrapped up in this topic that the question for me was clear.
M.Höhne, you gave (partly) the answer I was looking for. The technical drawings for the typefaces used on typewriters are mostly 50 times bigger than the actual type on the typewriter itself and contain the necessarily measurements. I also figured that the 50:1 scale had to do with the details, so thank you for you support of the theory I had about it. I could find no source to quote. Is there any?
And why would the scale by 50:1? Why not 40:1? They were reduced by a pantograph to make the matrices. The pantograph could handle any reduction, or am I wrong?
In advance I would like to apologize for my written English.

This is common knowledge. For a source, look first in Introduction to Engineering or Introduction to Drafting manuals.

Why not 40:1? Now you're being arbitrary. It was the decision of somebody who was in a position to make that decision and he made it. Maybe it was the tools at his disposal that day. 50:1 seems like a lot to me, too, but so does 40:1.  Let us see what you're looking at. Your post implies that you have several different drawings, possibly from different manufacturers

Yes, a pantograph can handle any reduction---or enlargement---within its physical limits. They were made in many different configurations for many different purposes.

26-7-2017 06:12:25  #10

Thank you for the answers, I will take a look in the two sources you suggest. 

It is common knowledge when you are in the engineering field perhaps. I do not work in an engineering environment, so for me it is not so common.

I do have drawings with a scale 50:1 and 40:1 from different manufacturers, unfortunatly I do not have a place yet to put them online, but I will look into it so I can show them. The moment that is arranged I will post it on this blog.

Board footera