You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-8-2017 09:07:29  #1

Buy him a typewriter

"Novel-writing has to be learned but it can't be taught. This bunkum and stinkum of college creative writing courses — writers make their decision to write in secret. The academics don't know what. They don't know that the only thing you can do for someone who wants to write is to buy him a typewriter." (James M Cain)

02-8-2017 09:20:59  #2

Re: Buy him a typewriter

Still true these days? I wonder. I do believe that sitting at a typewriter, without the distractions of a smartphone or web access, can be better since it forces discipline. But (and I realize I'll sound like an old grump when I say this) I think the idea of actually sitting and doing only one thing for a length of time is not something that people do much of anymore.

02-8-2017 09:39:52  #3

Fleetwing wrote:

I think the idea of actually sitting and doing only one thing for a length of time is not something that people do much of anymore.

Amen to that!

In fact, I was bitten by the writing bug (or staining paper bug in my case) when I sat in front of a Lettera 32 and it just happened. Take a seat, disconnect from distractions and do something, not everthing.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

02-8-2017 10:04:43  #4

As the old saying goes: "Writers write."

Board footera