You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-8-2017 15:20:53  #1

Flattened feedrollers on Erika model M

Hi all,

I recently acquired an Erika M. It's a wonderful machine, and I'm very happy to have found it.
The only problem I have with it is that the machine's rubber is not in good condition. 
The platen is very hard, and I'm going to send that one out to have it re-done. But I would actually love to send the feedrollers along with the platen, because all of them (the two below the platen) are flattened out.
But I've found it's incredibly difficult to get the feedrollers out. Or rather, impossible. 
I have two questions:

- any tips for getting these out of the Erika M? 
- if that would fail (or if I were to be too frightened to get them out in fear of damaging anything) any tips on how to get the machine to work regardless? 

Actually, I'm sort of hoping the machine will feed paper just fine with just a new platen (the current one doesn't really grip paper at all, it's that hard). But in case it won't, I'd love to hear what ideas you might have to unflatten the feedrollers, or any other trick to help the machine feed the paper.

Thanks in advance!

05-8-2017 21:43:40  #2

Re: Flattened feedrollers on Erika model M

I had an idea that might be worth trying, and that was the soften the feed rollers and rotate the platen or otherwise reshape them while they hardened so they would wind up being slightly less out of round than before. Heat and chemicals are possible softeners and clearly with different working times. Also clearly things could get worse so proceed at own risk.

I have a late Remington portable which had this problem -- paper would advance for a while until the flat spots lined up like three cherries and clamped it. I thought of just sanding down the high spots (the edges of the flat area) cold. Maybe I even did this... I would have to check.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

06-8-2017 04:05:36  #3

Thanks for your advice.
After the platen comes back from being redone, I will take a look, see how bad the feed is (I'm still hoping that a good platen, with fine grip will save the machine). If it's bad, I'll try and test the methods you mention...
Sanding would be my last option, preferably I'd just reshape them a little bit so the flat spots aren't so flat anymore... 

06-8-2017 05:26:11  #4

I.den wrote:

Thanks for your advice.
After the platen comes back from being redone, I will take a look, see how bad the feed is (I'm still hoping that a good platen, with fine grip will save the machine). If it's bad, I'll try and test the methods you mention...
Sanding would be my last option, preferably I'd just reshape them a little bit so the flat spots aren't so flat anymore... 

When I have gotten platens recovered (by JJ Short) I sent them feed rollers, too. Solved the problem very well.

Also, realize that sanding, shaving, compressing, the feed rollers into a new round shape will reduce their diameter so they might not contact the platen tightly enough to do their job anyway.

06-8-2017 09:27:22  #5

M. Höhne wrote:

Also, realize that sanding, shaving, compressing, the feed rollers into a new round shape will reduce their diameter so they might not contact the platen tightly enough to do their job anyway.

Agreed except that reshaping them (softening them and putting them into a more nearly round condition before they harden) would not reduce their volume unless the process happened to shrink them. 

06-8-2017 09:29:55  #6

M. Höhne wrote:

When I have gotten platens recovered (by JJ Short) I sent them feed rollers, too. Solved the problem very well.

Thanks for your warning.
Trust me, if I was able to remove the feed rollers without fear of breaking anything, I would...
The rollers are connected to the bottom of the carriage with springloaded screws, that are very difficult to get out (only by using offset screwdriver of the right size - which I don't have at the moment). Even if I were to get them out, I don't know whether I trust myself to be able to get everything back in.

Here's a picture:

06-8-2017 09:52:25  #7

I.den wrote:

Here's a picture:

Wowsa. That is some flat!  Another option just for the sake of ticking off all mechanical options, would be to build up the flat area as well as reducing the shoulders. No, I don't know what compound would be suitable but one feels it is out there. I filled in a crevice on a platen in one case with epoxy and sanded it back close to round: epoxy is hard but so was the platen and it at least made it possible to type without drop-outs. Feed rollers should be more tolerant of irregularity since you don't have to type on them, they merely have to keep rolling and not clamp the paper.

06-8-2017 10:53:42  #8

Sugru is a perfect fix to use for this build-it-up approach: https://sugru.com/ will get you there if I supply the correct URL.

06-8-2017 22:50:15  #9

Dear Höhne, Repartee,

Thanks again for your suggestions. Especially the sugru is a good one that I'll be sure to take into consideration. 
I've also sent out an email to an actual typewriter repairman in my country, asking whether he might be able to replace the feedrollers (and what the charges would be). Like I said before, I'd like it best if it were done professionally, but if it's outside of my price range, I'll be sure to try the Sugru-solution.

I'll be sure to chime in here once I know what I'm going to do, and when the results are in.

08-8-2017 04:56:30  #10

Hi guys,

Just a quick update.
With the help from the local typewriter repairman, I was able to get both feedrollers out without having to remove the screws & springs. I will send them off to be professionally redone, along with the platen and top feedrollers, hoping for a good result.

I'll let you guys know when everything is ready.

Board footera