You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-8-2017 15:07:13  #1

Removing a Remington portable's feed rollers

Hi,

I have a Remington model 5 portable and I'm hoping to send the platen and bith sets of feed rollers in to get professionally recoverd, but I can't seem to figure out how to get them out. If anyone knows how to do this, I would greatly appreciate a tutorial. I cam post pictures later if that would help.

Thanks!

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

09-8-2017 10:47:45  #2

Re: Removing a Remington portable's feed rollers

To clarify--I have no intention to (not to mention laking in skills to) perform anything more than minor disassembly, so anything too complex is out of the question. I only have very basic tools--various screwdrivers, pliers, Allen wrenches, small sockets, and a fair amount of patience when required.

I am interested to note that in the Smith Corona section of the same Ames service manual, instructions for removing the feed rollers are included, which makes me wonder whether, if the feed rollers in a Remington were meant to be removed, there would be instructions for it... Though I'm not sure how they would then expect the part to be replaced if it were damaged--unless they would have replaced the whole feed roller assembly...

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

09-8-2017 13:31:38  #3

What I did on my no.3 was to pull out the pins that each hold in a pair of feed rollers. I seem to recall the platen being removed when I did this, though it may or may not be required.

I do remember for sure that there's just barely enough space to pull out the pins.

That's for the back four. The bottom ones, I can't remember wether or not I removed them. It should be easier to see how to remove those with the platen out of the way.

09-8-2017 13:55:45  #4

andreccantin wrote:

What I did on my no.3 was to pull out the pins that each hold in a pair of feed rollers. I seem to recall the platen being removed when I did this, though it may or may not be required.

I do remember for sure that there's just barely enough space to pull out the pins.

That's for the back four. The bottom ones, I can't remember wether or not I removed them. It should be easier to see how to remove those with the platen out of the way.

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to take a look, but I think the feed rollers are set in differently on the 3 than on the 5. I'll get a picture up when I can.

10-8-2017 09:53:23  #5

andreccantin wrote:

Here's what mine is like. I've circled the ends of the feed roller assembly, because, though it's hard to see, the ends bend inward blacking the bar from coming out. The only thing I could think to do is pry one back, but bending steel seems like a bad idea...

10-8-2017 11:42:44  #6

Definitely different.

If it's only a slight bend, I'd probably go for it, but anything over about 30° of bend will have me double checking that's the only way to get it out.

Also look carefully near the bends for marks in the metal. If it was bent before assembly, it would likely not have left marks. However, bending it after assembly to hold it in, with needle nose pliers, might leave a mark if you don't cover the jaws with something soft.

10-8-2017 12:38:41  #7

andreccantin wrote:

Definitely different.

If it's only a slight bend, I'd probably go for it, but anything over about 30° of bend will have me double checking that's the only way to get it out.

Also look carefully near the bends for marks in the metal. If it was bent before assembly, it would likely not have left marks. However, bending it after assembly to hold it in, with needle nose pliers, might leave a mark if you don't cover the jaws with something soft.

It's a pretty substantial angle, so I think i will take your advice and seek an alternate way of removing them.

20-9-2017 14:23:48  #8

Just serviced my Remington Model 5 Portable using the bend-the-tab method. I serviced both rear and front roller sets and so I removed the platin along with the front ruler/paper guide (red on mine).

Rear: I serviced the two left most (when looking rear to front) by bending carefully the right most metal tab - enough to have the rod pass by. The rod is sufficiently flexible to be able to be pulled out to allow the left two rollers to be released. After replacing these two rollers now with new rubber I returned the rod to its original position and closed the tab. The right set of rollers were serviced by repeating the procedure bending the left most tab.

Front: These were the easiest. Here there are two rod sections - one for each roller pair. Position the carriage such that you can gain access to the rod mounting hole closest to the typewriters center. Use a small tool to lightly tap the rob outward. The outward end of each rod is knurled so a pair of pliers will suffice to pull out to service the rollers. Repeat for the other side.

My problem is that I might have used rubber tubing that made either front or rear set a touch to big because the paper still does not feed. Its entirely possible that the new feed rollers are fine and that the platin needs to be recovered.

rob

Board footera