You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-8-2017 12:36:26  #1

Buildup in segment.

As many of you know I've been cleaning up a Colibri for a couple weeks.I thought I had it working but I can see this morning that there some sort of white residue/build up in between the segment slots.  I had seen this before on other areas of the typewriter and when I cleaned it with mineral spirits it seemed to go away, but apparently once all the spirits dried up, it returned.
 any idea what sort of chemical might remove this residue? 

15-8-2017 12:11:40  #2

Re: Buildup in segment.

My guess is correction fluid/paper/ribbon.

White, sticky, and flaky.

Because it's never conveniant to move the carriage all the way over when correcting a mistake you just made (so the sticky debris doesn't fall into the segment).

16-8-2017 00:05:13  #3

Hmmmm
Well any ideas on how to get rid of that? Mineral spirits and denatured alcohol just don't seem to be cutting it ...

16-8-2017 07:19:18  #4

skywatcher wrote:

Carburetor cleaner ...is formulated to dissolve petroleum and related substances, so can be very detrimental to rubber, paint and plastics, but it sure gets crud out of the segment slots.

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

16-8-2017 07:20:30  #5

I recently received this as advice. Maybe worth a shot for the brave?

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. -- Ernest Hemingway

16-8-2017 09:28:47  #6

Wow
For the very brave indeed
Well thx for input,  i'm not sure if I consider this gunk. In truth it seems to have appeared After having apply the other chemical solutions....or perhaps I just wasn't looking closely enough

24-8-2017 00:24:50  #7

that is residue off the spirits, I would try a very light oil based solution to clean it to see if that works, try WD 40 on a 
cotton bud ( Q tip )

24-8-2017 06:14:22  #8

No, avoid the WD-40 -- many folks here have warned against that repeatedly, since it will eventually gum things up.

The residue may not look great, but does it affect the typing? If not, leave it alone, I say.

24-8-2017 09:41:58  #9

Well, yes I do believe it's impeding the typebars to some extent, although I can't say for sure whether or not that is the problem
Posting a new thread this mrng

24-8-2017 16:47:31  #10

Fleetwing, I'm not suggesting that the machine gets doused in WD 40 which will gum things up, I am saying to dip a Q-tip in some WD 40 or similar just so the Q-tip is moist then use it to clean the sides of the type bars and the front of the segment, there should be no excess oil going into the segment, I have no problems using WD 40 as a cleaner, sometimes sprayed on to a cloth to wipe individual components down.

Board footera