You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-8-2017 09:58:54  #1

Fine yesterday. Now big problem. Mineral spirits. Typebars...

After a recent application of mineral spirits (a store brand sherwin Williams, just says "mineral spirits"), I find that the whole left side of the keyboard is stiffer, and I can no longer take a typebars in my fingers and move them through their normal path up towards the ribbon--they stop about 1/2" shy, and it feels like something is very strongly impeding the range of motion. I can force it to the platen but 9 out of 10 times it won't trigger the escapement if I do...

I can type and the slug will make contact with platen, but it feels like there is a ton of friction, it's not smooth at all, and this is a new development. What does it mean? It does not feel healthy for the machines mechanics. Only the left side of keyboard has this problem,...

24-8-2017 10:30:50  #2

Re: Fine yesterday. Now big problem. Mineral spirits. Typebars...

Oh boy -- I bet you've got the wrong kind of "mineral spirits." There was another thread here about this. I think you need to clean that stuff out of there, since I'd say it's gumming things up. Contacts cleaner, PB B'laster, naphtha -- those should remove it.

24-8-2017 10:44:34  #3

Ya I've followed the existing threads thus far
I was just curious if anyone knew exactly what had happened regarding the decrease in typebar range of motion

24-8-2017 10:55:53  #4

I'm assuming the mineral spirits have gummed up the segment -- need to clean the slots out (as well as the lower parts of the typebars that engage the slots) to free them up. You didn't say, but I am assuming when you move the typebars and they stop, it's not like there is a physical blocking of the motion, but rather that it becomes too stiff to move?

24-8-2017 11:52:14  #5

It's something with the mechanism, there are weird clicks when you move the typebars by hand
Like as if something is catching on something else along the path
Thanks for the reply but I really have no idea what it is...

I can't imagine the segment is gummed up I've put so much paint thinner and mineral spirits and denatured alcohol and green varieties and regular varieties into those slots and off brands and store brands and on and artists brands and....I can't imagine there's anything there

24-8-2017 12:36:06  #6

OK, that does sound like a physical/mechanical blockage. I guess I've lost track -- what is the typewriter? All I can suggest is for you to try and see what might be blocking it. But you knew that! Does the carriage move freely? Tabulator? Spacebar?

Good luck -- keep us posted.

24-8-2017 16:33:50  #7

Ya haha
It's a kolibri
Appreciate the input

I rinsed it again this morning  with some other solution  and that seems to of eliminated the problem, mostly…
Of course there is still the issue of sticky keys
A couple weeks ago I had it down to one sticky key now there are three or four,… It seems like they jump around a little bit  with every successive cleaning

Yeah everything else works fairly well,  The carriage and the functions are fine
It's just these darn sticking keys now!
#AlmostForSale

26-8-2017 08:17:22  #8

In my expierience when you try to clean the segments that are very very greasy a few times, it only moves around some of it in the segment, and a little drips out. When it dries, guess what, sticky keys.

The only way I solve this is by taking out all the key bars and cleaning them and cleaning the segment.

I know that this will not be an option for you, so another thing I do is load the segment with the spirits, move the key bars back and forth, pour more, move them, etc until you see it drop out clear.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

26-8-2017 10:20:08  #9

Well What you describe is basically what I've been doing for the past couple months
I have a squirt bottle and I'll just work on whatever key is being problematic, dousing it with solution and then working the bar back-and-forth slowly, then by depressing the key  over and over again until hopefully it frees up. When it does I'll do a rapidfire typing until it hangs up again, then rinsing, typing, dousing, typing

Do you ever turn the machine on its side or upside down  to flush  things out that way?

27-8-2017 08:52:30  #10

No, not myself.

Do you see any dark liquid coming out of the segment? That would indicate grease. If not, then a dirty segment is not your issue most likely.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera