You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-8-2017 21:58:46  #1

Ultra-portable with tab set/tab clear buttons...

So I'm interested in learning what ultraportable typewriters are out there that have push button tab functions? When I say buttons, it doesn't have to be like those on a Royal Futura 800 (which I don't consider ultraportable ), it could also be the lever kind, like the Lettera 32.

Right now it looks like a Princess 300 would be the best option, but I'm curious if they are actually considered ultraportable as I have never seen one in person--- they do look quite small though.

Are there any others that I'm missing that have this functionality and meet this criteria?
To be clear I'm not looking for any typewriter where I have to set the tabs manually by sliding the stops back-and-forth.

Suggestions?

29-8-2017 12:31:51  #2

Re: Ultra-portable with tab set/tab clear buttons...

The Olivetti Lettera 32... but I wouldn´t call it ultraportable. That includes the Valentine as well, which is basically a flashier and weaker Lettera 32. In fact, that woud be closer to the Dora, but again they´re above what I´d call an ultraportable.

Thing is that the Pluma (or Lettera) 22 doesn´t have it, and I think that would be your cup of tea. The Lettera 32 is around half a kilo heavier and a bit larger, but still is far more portable than a SM3

I haven´t seen a Princess 300 up close and personal either, so I can´t tell for sure that it´s smaller than the Olivettis, but it looks like it is.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

29-8-2017 14:14:14  #3

Okay, so what you're asking for is ultra-portables that have a keyboard tab setting feature. 

First off, the Keller & Knappich Princess models are ultra portables. And the Princess 300 does have keyboard tab controls, although it's not a push button system as you described but a rocker switch. I may have misunderstood Javi, but the Lettera 22 does have a keyboard set tabulator as well (ditto for the Lettera 33 or DL), and I would certainly classify it as an ultra-portable. 

Princess 300

​Other models? Off the top of my head there were Consul models with that feature, which used a rocker switch (in the form of a wheel) too. The Olympia and Optima Plana models had it as well but used more of a push button set up. The Royal Parade (and probably a number of other Royal ultra-portable models) certainly had it, but they used a lever system. Add to the list the Underwood 315 (an Olivetti under the hood) and Typewriters Works Maritza 22 (a Princess 300 under the hood). There were Brother models, and some of the later Smith-Corona (and Singer) models with a tabulator, but they had fixed tab stops (I think every ten spaces).

Royal Parade

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-8-2017 15:04:26  #4

UWE.
Great thanks that's just what I was hoping for.
Yes that's why I've been leaning towards the princess because it seems like an ultraportable and I knew it had that tab function

That link to ultraportables though… Those don't all have the tab feature I'm looking for, do they?
I'll will browse consul models and see what I find

Are the Olympia and optima models that you mention also of the ultraportable variety? I feel like that's a very subjective statement but I think we all generally agree on what is ultraportable and what is not

JAVI
yeah I knew the letteras had the feature but I've never really been a fan of the olivettis. Until today that is...new post to follow in acquisitions

29-8-2017 16:23:46  #5

schyllerwade wrote:

That link to ultraportables though… Those don't all have the tab feature I'm looking for, do they?

​No. Just most of the models that I referenced are in my Tumblr photo collection.

schyllerwade wrote:

Are the Olympia and optima models that you mention also of the ultraportable variety?

​Yes, but they're on the heavy side.

schyllerwade wrote:

I feel like that's a very subjective statement but I think we all generally agree on what is ultraportable and what is not

​I was the one who coined the phrase ultra-portable a number of years ago, and it was intended to encompass the sub-genre of portable models that are in most cases half the height of a regular portable. So yes, all of the examples I listed in my previous post are ultra-portables.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-8-2017 19:25:18  #6

Ok, so what Olympias do you have in mind?
When I think ultraportable and Olympia I think SF and splendid models...but I don't believe those don't have the tab function I'm looking, do they?

Also, I remembered I actually have a Royal very similar to the Royal Parade, the Quiet DeLuxe from Holland.  Pretty quiet overall but unusual key action and it arrived broken from transit so I really haven't had a chance to use it.  But even that is a little bigger that I'm looking for. 

I really like the size of the princess 300 and the fact that it has all those features... May have to figure out a way to make it a "Prince 300" though, if I plan on using it lol

29-8-2017 19:45:32  #7

schyllerwade wrote:

Ok, so what Olympias do you have in mind?

As I mentioned in my previous post, the Plana.

schyllerwade wrote:

When I think ultraportable and Olympia I think SF and splendid models...but I don't believe those don't have the tab function I'm looking, do they?

No, they don't. And the Splendid variants (three of them) are SF models.

29-8-2017 19:51:13  #8

Also, Browsing typewriter database, I think I found the consuls you were referring to: I believe the 233 and the 235 both have the dials for setting tabs that you referred to in your post.  And that is actually exactly what I meant in terms of size and functionality. Although I know that those are less commonly available, I still like to know what my options are, to say nothing of the degree to which Javi has extolled these machines in numerous posts and messages, as well as in his descriptions on TWDB! Lol

29-8-2017 19:56:56  #9

My Mistake I didn't realize the plana applied to both optima in Olympia, I thought it was strictly in relation to the former. Although now I seem to recall that optima was a rebranding of Olympia...? 

for what it's worth I've never seen either of those plana models before... I imagine they are quite sparse 
 but I appreciate the information, I would've had to sort through hundreds of pages of database listings before coming across these few models that meet my criteria...

30-8-2017 06:28:45  #10

Uwe wrote:

. I may have misunderstood Javi, but the Lettera 22 does have a keyboard set tabulator as well (ditto for the Lettera 33 or DL), and I would certainly classify it as an ultra-portable.

My mistake, but there´s a catch! I think we´ve found an interesting detail here...
In fact, the Lettera 22 has a keyboard set tabulator, but none of the 4 I have has it. And that´s the issue: my typewriters are Pluma 22´s, I have earlier and later units and none of them has keyboard set tabulator. Looks like the Olivetti Lettera 22 has it but the Hispano Olivetti Pluma 22 doesn´t, and I´ve assumed the only difference between those is in the name.

About what´s ultra portable and what isn´t, I´ve never known where to draw the line. My idea was that an ultra portable is something which is smaller than it should be. I mean, going back to the Lettera 32 everything fits inside without weird placement and it doesn´t surprise you with "spatial brevity". But for example the Kolibri is flatter and much lighter, just like the Gossen Tippa, the Splendid 33 or the Rooy Portable (which goes beyond the limits of reasonability). But if the Lettera 32 fits into the category of ultra portables, then I strongly recommend it.

Now I have another doubt... What is a Smith Corona Standard, then?

It´s portable sized but it´s called "Standard". Why?!

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

Board footera