You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-8-2017 11:01:57  #1

Same Royal, New Problems

I recently posted about a Royal KMG that had a simple problem that I fixed after looking over the internals for a little while.

Now I have a few issues that happen from time to time. They are not constant or consistant, but they happen often enough to be annoying.

The R, E, W, and V keys stick randomly. I have read that working mineral spirits into the segments will fix this. I have been working on it but I understand this may take some time.

The carriage locks at random and without warning. The keys do not lock so I end up typing two or three figures on top of the last one before I realize what happened and stop. I can usually fix this by just hitting the backspace key and then space a couple of times to get back to typing.

I have not done a complete strip down and clean yet, but I don't want to pull it apart, clean, and put it back together only to have to do it again because I didn't know what I am looking for. I would be very grateful if anyone knows what the problem might be so I can fix this when I pull it apart.

Thanks

02-9-2017 11:29:51  #2

Re: Same Royal, New Problems

I am experiencing a similar "carriage lock" with the Smith Corona Galaxie that I've had for a while. I'm not sure how to fix it but I suspect it's a result of having been dropped, and as a result of the fall, certain components or mechanisms about the carriage/carriage rails, were bent. 

although I can say on a different model, the problem with the carriage coming to a halt randomly was because there was a screw loose on the under side of the carriage, and passing a certain point, it would get hung up on a piece of the frame...so you might want to have a look on the bottom side of the carriage and see if you can spot something

05-9-2017 10:19:35  #3

Re: Same Royal, New Problems

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

Board footera