You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-9-2017 10:33:56  #1

Removing the shell on a 6-series Smith-Corona

I recently got a Galaxie (sliding ribbon cover; I believe that's called the 6 series?) for basically $5. Two problems -- first, the bell does not ring. I can't see enough of the mechanism, even with the bottom panel removed, to figure out what's wrong, so I think I need to remove the bottom rear cover and perhaps also the back panel of the carriage.

Second, the ribbon selection switch (a slider lever on the right side of the keyboard) is disconnected from the linkage that changes the ribbon setting. From peering inside with the ribbon cover slid open, it appears as though the end of the linkage is supposed to fit into a slot in a metal piece that's connected to the switch, on the inside of the shell. (I can't imagine how these got disconnected in the first place, and the end of the linkage may be hard to bend in order to make it fit.)

It seems to me that I need to remove the plastic molding surrounding the keyboard in order to get at this and try to reconnect the linkage. I removed the screws at either lower corner of the molding, near the shift keys, but the molding does not budge. Are there additional screws I need to remove? Do I need to somehow pry off the ribbon selection switch (and the touch control switch on the left side of the keyboard)? I'm hoping I don't have to remove these switches, since I think they would break very easily if I tried to insert something between them and the molding to try and work them off.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

07-9-2017 14:12:22  #2

Re: Removing the shell on a 6-series Smith-Corona

I have one of these galaxies. It's a script unit of all things, so I was eager to get it working. But DAMN that body removal.

I found that removing the ribbon cover (the sliding one that you mention), made everything a lot easier. It gives you room to remove screws along the perimeter of the body that are almost unreachable otherwise (although managed to). The ribbon cover is connected by 2 screws, one of each side, on the underside of the cover.

Once the ribbon cover is removed, the whole metal frame of the machine can be removed from the surrounding, one-piece shell. I dont think I have pictures but I might...If so, I'll post.

07-9-2017 14:14:02  #3

and yes, you have to remove the other stuff before you can remove that plastic portion around the keys (almost positive about that). Mine was already broken, so I assumed someone got frustrated and just tried ripping it off. Not the right way lol

07-9-2017 15:16:33  #4

Thanks. What a pain! I actually found a YouTube video on how to remove the ribbon cover -- remove those two screws, and pop out the stud next to each screw that holds the cover in place on the bar that runs underneath the cover. Then pop the sides out from the track on which they run. Looks easier to remove than to reinstall!

The good news is that the machine is perfectly usable as is. Guess I can't complain for $5 -- OK, there was no case. But I won't feel terrible if I go in and mess it up.

Thanks for the info -- much obliged.

Board footera