You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-9-2017 14:43:20  #1

Wrote a letter to Tom Hanks, and HE WROTE BACK!!!

Thought you all would like this...

So I typed a letter to Tom Hanks informing him I was upset that he got me hooked on typewriters. Well, he wrote back in typical Hanks style. What a great guy!

You can see the correspondense here: https://twitter.com/scott__wild/status/906315723940564992

---------------------------------------------------------------
1954 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1949 Smith Corona Silent, 1957 ROYAL Quiet De Luxe, 1967 FACIT TP1, 1969 Olivetti Ventura

09-9-2017 21:12:45  #2

Re: Wrote a letter to Tom Hanks, and HE WROTE BACK!!!

Well, no wonder he replied -- you gave him a self-addressed, stamped envelope! But seriously, that's pretty neat. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how did you know the address to use?

09-9-2017 21:59:46  #3

Fleetwing wrote:

... how did you know the address to use?

​I've seen a number of these posted online (it's still very cool that Hanks takes the time, assuming it is him and not someone who handles such things for him). Just try a search and you'll see what I mean.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-9-2017 13:50:59  #4

Nice! 

04-10-2017 23:24:51  #5

Very, very cool! I like his stationery! 

06-10-2017 06:37:12  #6

I saw that on Reddit a couple weeks back too. So I am in the same boat. I have recently become obsessed with typewriters, since I recently saw one in  an antique store, I spent a week straight of reading about them online (after my weeklong learning spree, I have discovered it was an Underwood Champion).

So far I have acquired two Olivetti Lettera 32s (one was a last minute "make offer" deal that was actually accepted). A few days ago the postman brought an Olivetti Studio 44. I have yet to have time to even open it (hopefully today). And, last night I won an auction for an SM3 Deluxe, as well as lost an auction for an SG1. I'm going crazy!

A Royal QDL is on my list of wants (as is a Hermes).

06-10-2017 07:04:03  #7

Btw, I don't know Tom Hanks at all personally, but the response seems very "Tom Hanks." (Deal with it - ha ha). It's very cool that he responded. 

11-10-2017 15:22:31  #8

Tom Hanks talks typewriters, Trump, typewriters, Hollywood, typewriters....

15-10-2017 20:24:57  #9

More Tom Hanks talking typewriters. This 8-minute piece on CBS This Morning was pretty good. 

Also, he explains to Maureen Dowd how he hates hotels using typewriters as vintage decor here

25-10-2017 08:28:26  #10

Congratulations scottw!

I've been putting off buying a typewriter for a couple of years and then CBS Sunday Morning had Tom Hanks on discussing typewriters on 10/15/17.  I was doomed.  I bought my first typewriter 3 days later.

From the Maureen Dowd interview this is my favorite part:    
"Typewriters are making a comeback.
I’m going to confirm that. And I’ll tell you why: because you will not lose your data and no one can hack your typewriter.Having worked professionally with computers for 40 years this is one of my reasons for wanting a typewriter (but my main reason is because I just like them a lot).  If it isn't hooked up to the internet it can't be hacked from the internet."

Anyway, when I get my typewriter working I'll practice a bit and then I'm typing Mr. Hanks a letter.  It would be great if he replies but it will still be fun even if he doesn't reply.

Board footera