You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-9-2017 16:28:23  #1

Olympia Deluxe ribbon trouble

Hi everyone,

I am having some trouble with my Olympia Deluxe (I think it's an SM3) and I hoped you could help me out. 

I made the mistake of leaving the typewriter where my two-year-old could reach it. Several times, I caught her pulling the ribbon out of the thing that holds the ribbon and lifts it up when you strike a key (is that the "vibrator"?). When I tried using the machine again, it turned out that her repeated meddling had not only gotten her fingers red and black, but had made it so that whenever I press SHIFT and strike a key, and then let go of SHIFT, when the mechanism returns to its normal position the ribbon gets all bunched up. The next few keystrokes leave a few red letters before it corrects itself.

Obviously, this is not a fatal problem; if I need to, I can just get an all-black ribbon, and still use the thing. But if I can fix it on my own without having to pay to take it in (and probably pay more than the machine initially cost me), I would rather do that. If anyone has an idea for how to go about that, I would appreciate it.

10-9-2017 20:52:07  #2

Re: Olympia Deluxe ribbon trouble

I'm pretty sure you simply didn't put the ribbon back in following the proper path through the vibrator (Yes, that's what it's called.). It should go behind the centermost posts and in front of the outermost ones. If it's in the other way 'round, then you get the symptom you're reporting. There are a lot of pics on the internet and all the common typewriters are similar, though varying in detail. It seems like the ribbon would scrape and smudge the paper when it is in the closest position but it doesn't (unless something else is wrong). HTH

Board footera