You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-9-2017 05:39:51  #1

Olympia Traveller Deluxe or Olivetti Tropical?

I live in Spain, and had the good fortune to find what was clearly  described as an Olympia Traveller Deluxe in a charity shop. Although I am new to typewriters, I recognised that it needed a new ribbon. When the ribbon arrived, it would not fit. After contacting the supplier, and sending him photos he told me it was an Olivetti Tropical and not an Olympia Traveller Deluxe. Photos of both seem to confirm this. The ribbon spool indicates made in Brazil, so I guess the machine was made there too? Can anyone tell me why this was sold as a different brand, or anything more about its history? Many thanks. 

PS I am new to this too board, so not sure how to attach a photo. Thanks

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom'

24-9-2017 10:11:27  #2

Re: Olympia Traveller Deluxe or Olivetti Tropical?

Welcome to the forum, Barry.

The Olivetti Tropical (http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=4228#p4228) was sold as a different brand from the Traveller because it's not an Olympia - it's a completely different machine. There's is a lot of speculation surrounding the history of this Brazilian-made Olivetti that apparently uses the mechanical works of a Hermes Baby. Some bloggers have erroneously stated that it has the coachwork of an Olympia Traveller, which is completely wrong; not only are all the dimensions of this typewriter’s case different, its profile is not even the same. The Traveller is flatter, has a deeper lip at the spacebar, and most notably it doesn’t have the raised rear panel behind the carriage that this Olivetti model has.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-9-2017 16:50:59  #3

This is very helpful. Thank you. It is clearly badged as 'Olympia Traveller Deluxe'. Yes, I see what you mean about the case. Anyway, it works beautifully and I am surprised at the quality of the type. I also managed to get the correct ribbon for it too! Many thanks.

25-9-2017 12:43:47  #4

Could you post a photo of your typewriter? If it's badged as an Olympia Traveller, it's not an Olivetti Tropical and your supplier is wrong. It sounds like you might have a Japanese-made Traveller, which I think was produced by Nakajima and featured an altered case design that was also used for the Olympia Olympiette.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-9-2017 16:24:59  #5

Certainly, but I cannot figure out how to attach a photo to this reply. Can you advise please? Thanks

25-9-2017 16:40:24  #6

Sadly, I still cannot find a way of uploading on here,  so I have uploaded the photo of the Olympia Traveller de Luxe to a test site. Haver a look at this: http://bmiac.eu

From what I can see, it is identical to Olivetti Tropical (as far as the case goes anyway). Would be great to lear a little more about it. Thank you for your interest.

25-9-2017 19:39:59  #7

barryuk wrote:

... I cannot figure out how to attach a photo to this reply. Can you advise please? Thanks

Typewriter Talk FAQ - PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!

26-9-2017 15:55:49  #8

26-9-2017 15:57:35  #9

It sounds like you might have a Japanese-made Traveller, which I think was produced by Nakajima and featured an altered case design that was also used for the Olympia Olympiette."

No, it looks nothing like.

26-9-2017 18:25:18  #10

barryuk wrote:

No, it looks nothing like.

​Yes, it looks nearly identical. There were a few different versions of the Olympiette, and one utilized a case that was practically identical to the Tropical/Roma one and was made by Nakajima. However, now that I can see a photo of yours it's definitely one based on the Brazilian-made Olivetti, which I've never seen before and it's a real find. It would appear that Olympia sub-contracted, perhaps before it went to Nakajima, a run of Travellers from the Brazilian factory. It's a very interesting machine and unfortunately muddies the waters even more when it comes to that era in Olympia history.

Board footera