You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-9-2017 16:30:38  #1

KMM Ribbon, Shift, and Carriage Issues

https://ibb.co/album/nLSyBF - This should allow you to look at all the pictures I've taken of each respective problem.

I recently purchased a KMM Royal, which is in relatively good shape. Upon inspection, I noticed that when the ribbon guide lifts, the ribbon catches on the metal piece directly in front of it (Perhaps called the typeguide?) and is pulled from the guide. I'm assuming this can be fixed by reshaping the guide, but I'm not entirely positive it's not something to do with how much tension is holding the ribbons taught. Manually, I can spin the ribbon spools freely in the cups, which is not the case on my two other manual typewriters, and so I'm not sure if that is working properly.
My second issue is the carriage has a spot at the right end of the carriage where it catches, and only when I manually put pressure does it move. It feels like it's caught on something. Is this a grime issue that needs to be cleaned?
My third and least pressing issue is the shift mechanism gets caught every once and a while, specifically the left shift key getting caught on the caps lock. It feels like its simply catching on something, and after working the mechanism for a bit it works smoothly. But with each new session of use it gets caught again.
Thank you,
Teran M.

A high schooler with typewriters. 

27-9-2017 16:59:27  #2

Re: KMM Ribbon, Shift, and Carriage Issues

First issue is simply that the ribbon is threaded through the vibrator wrong---it should go behind the centermost prongs and in front of the outermost ones, the opposite of the way you have it. No need to bend anything, so kudos for holding off and not just bulling ahead.

Second issue may very well be a dirt problem. Could be something else but it's bad practice to troubleshoot grimy gear. "Is this a grime issue that needs to be cleaned?:---Yes. All grime issues need to be cleaned.

Third issue will likely be figured out when you spend some time watching it as you work it. Typewriters are very out-in-the-open machines and that particular part is very easy to watch.

HTH and Good Luck!

27-9-2017 17:22:21  #3

Oh my gosh, talk about a rookie mistake! Thank you.

27-9-2017 23:40:18  #4

Hi Teran

​You say "Rookie Mistake", you're young if you're still in high school, and you're working with old technology. Hats off to you from all of us for having an interest in these machines and wanting to learn about them. Good to have you on board. If we were talking computers, I'll bet you could run circles around us older folk.

I still haven't figured out what config.sys means in DOS 3.1 in yet I can do a complete cleaning and servicing of a portable typewriter on a Sunday afternoon and have it typing before bed time. Ask questions and you will learn. All the very best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-9-2017 12:17:47  #5

Sky,

Much appreciated! I hope to be at your skill level one day! I'll keep working on the carriage issue and see if I can actually cleaning anything underneath, as it's quite a packed space.
Teran M.

28-9-2017 18:32:44  #6

If you're feeling adventurous you can look at the tutorial I posted on how to remove the carriage on a 1940 KMM. Make sure you take lots of pictures of the process if you plan on dismantling it. Have fun!

Board footera