You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-10-2017 13:49:32  #1

Carriage skips but only on center keys

I know the issue of carriage skipping has been dealt with before but I haven't seen one where it only skips with keys towards the CENTER of the keyboard. This is happening on a Royal QDL 1957. I've cleaned the escapement and dogs, and notice that the skipping occurs more often when I linger on the key stroke and less on staccato strokes. The universal bar does not look bent or anything. 
Any advice would be most appreciated.

02-10-2017 16:44:20  #2

Re: Carriage skips but only on center keys

Hi Voss

​Check the escapement trip setting. The escapement should trip when the type bar is 3/8" from the platen. According to a Royal Portable Typewriter Adjustment Manual, this setting should be checked by bringing a type bar up to the platen with your fingers as opposed to pressing its key. Hope this points you in the right direction,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

02-10-2017 18:32:13  #3

Thank you Sky,
Yes, the tripping occurs when slugs are about 3/8" from platen. Now what should I do next?

03-10-2017 14:28:00  #4

Hi Again

My next guess is you'll need to delve a little deeper into the actual escapement settings like how far the dog assembly moves up and down on the escapement star wheel. It may also be worth checking the gap between the rigid dog and the stepping or loose dog. The rigid dog is the one with the small roller and the stepping dog is the spring loaded one. These are just a couple of suggestions.

​Other members may be able to help with a little more technical know how. You may also go to the Office Machine Americana website, follow the link to the catalog, go to royal and look for item # DP157. There are also all sorts of downloads available for purchase and for free depending on where you look that may cover your machine. Hope this helps and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

03-10-2017 18:51:22  #5

You can also use the free manuals at the Typewriter Database.

My blog - Just Typewriters

Board footera