You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-10-2017 14:47:38  #1

IBM Selectric I stuck

Hi Guys.

I have recently bought an IBM Selectric I typewriter and everything was fine about that till now.
When I wanted to type today, at beginning it's started moving slower and slower and then just it got stuck.
I don't know what to do, maybe anyone of you could help me? I will be very pleased.

I add a video, to show you what exactly is going on.

20-10-2017 11:30:22  #2

Re: IBM Selectric I stuck

Hi Oglocha

​The first thing I noticed when you powered up the machine was the constant thump-thump-thump, this is not normal. The machine should make a steady quiet hum and maybe a gentle whirring sound of the shaft and bearings. The sound of your machine makes think the drive belt has broken, has wrapped around the drive pulley and is slapping against the case. There's a YouTube video on replacing the belt here, it's kind of long, but it should point you in the right direction. Hope this helps and all the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

23-10-2017 14:35:47  #3

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Oglocha

​The first thing I noticed when you powered up the machine was the constant thump-thump-thump, this is not normal. The machine should make a steady quiet hum and maybe a gentle whirring sound of the shaft and bearings. The sound of your machine makes think the drive belt has broken, has wrapped around the drive pulley and is slapping against the case. There's a YouTube video on replacing the belt here, it's kind of long, but it should point you in the right direction. Hope this helps and all the best,

​Sky

I will check that and many thanks for your solution. If I have any problems, I will post it :-)

23-10-2017 14:55:42  #4

Oglocha wrote:

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Oglocha

​Sky

I will check that and many thanks for your solution. If I have any problems, I will post it :-)

Now i Have seen da video and i can say, that my typewriter was much louder before i had bought it. It may be a tip to repair that

28-10-2017 12:46:22  #5

How to solve it?
I found something wrong with that part (see in video)

Board footera