You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-12-2013 14:04:31  #1

Smith Corona Classic 12

Problem with the machine:  Carriage won't move to the left as the keys are struck; Power Space button won't work

My Dad gave me this 1970's vintage typewriter in 1976.  It worked well while I was in school.  Sometime in the '80's, I brought it to a "repair shop" for a minor repair and it's never worked since; I haven't tried to use it since 1983.  I intend to make it work myself and try to learn something in the process.  Ideal scenario: I locate a Classic 12 service manual for the machine (ser. # 6LTV 271937) w/ an exploded diagram.  If not, any helpful info. Would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

30-12-2013 14:34:12  #2

Re: Smith Corona Classic 12

It's a good plan, but I think you'll be fine without the manual. By the way, user manuals don't typically have any more information than a basic description of the machine's functions. And service manuals are pretty hard to find.

My first question is, and the obvious first step, what do you mean by the keys are stuck? Are several type bars jammed together at the type guide (where the type slugs hit the paper), or do you mean that you can't press down on any of the keys?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-12-2013 17:57:46  #3

My guess is that the carriage-lock is on. It's something the repairman probably did after he'd fixed it, to prevent damage during transportation. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

01-1-2014 20:25:12  #4

Uwe wrote:

It's a good plan, but I think you'll be fine without the manual. By the way, user manuals don't typically have any more information than a basic description of the machine's functions. And service manuals are pretty hard to find.

My first question is, and the obvious first step, what do you mean by the keys are stuck? Are several type bars jammed together at the type guide (where the type slugs hit the paper), or do you mean that you can't press down on any of the keys?

Hello.  Thanks for your reply.  I should have written that I can push the keys but the carriage won't move.  However, when the tab key, the space bar or the half space key are pushed, the carriage moves as it's supposed to.  So, it's just the letter keys that get no response.  I've tried to find a carriage lock, but I don't think this machine has one.  Thanks.

Brian Martin

01-1-2014 20:27:32  #5

Shangas wrote:

My guess is that the carriage-lock is on. It's something the repairman probably did after he'd fixed it, to prevent damage during transportation. 

Hello, thanks for your message.  I've looked for a carriage lock, but I believe that this machine doesn't have one.  Thanks.

Brian Martin

01-1-2014 22:45:08  #6

It's not a carriage lock issue if the space bar will move the carriage. Your machine should have a carriage lock though; it would be located on the right end of the carriage, a small lever between the carriage and ribbon cover.

So, just to be clear, no matter which of the 44 keys you press on nothing happens? Or do the type bars swing up properly but the carriage just doesn't move? If that's a case then you'll have to look at the mechanical interlock between the keys and the escapement. If this doesn't mean anything to you we'll have to rely on photos. Can you post a few of the underside of your machine?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-1-2014 18:18:19  #7

Hello.  Specifically, tab bar works; space bar works; half-space key works; upper case keys work (lowers the ?basket?); all alphanumeric keys will cause the type bars to swing upward to strike the (platen?) but the carriage will not move; the power space key does not work.  Could you provide me with a brief description of the mechanical interlock and of the escapement?  Thanks very much.

Brian

02-1-2014 23:54:26  #8

Okay, I think we're making some progress. So the keys actually all work (uppercase should LIFT, not lower the basket), but they just don't advance the carriage as they should after every key strike. Right?

I'll have to dig out a machine that I have that's similar to yours from the garage and take a few photos of the escapement so you know what I'm talking about. However, it might take me a day or two to get around to it.

03-1-2014 18:50:25  #9

That's exactly correct; the keys actually all work but the carriage doesn't move.  Thanks. 

Brian

P.S. Take your time; I'm in no rush and I appreciate the time you're using to help me.

Last edited by Brianmartin (03-1-2014 18:51:52)

05-1-2014 13:56:03  #10

Sorry it took so long, I had to dig out a 6-series machine from the garage. Hopefully, if you flip your machine over this is what you're looking at (minus the dirt):

Board footera