You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-10-2017 08:37:32  #1

'64 Olympia SM9 Replacement Rubber Feet?

Well, my 1964 SM9 arrived this morning in excellent overall condition, save for an undisclosed loss of powder coat to a small area where the carriage lever has rubbed, a small, free spring (no idea - all appears to be working, so this is an investigation for later!) and some seriously knackered rubber feet.

My question is, does anyone make pattern replacements, or sell good used ones? Or am I looking at acquiring a 'well - buggered knacker' to cannibalise?

30-10-2017 09:17:56  #2

Re: '64 Olympia SM9 Replacement Rubber Feet?

Hi Frank, Funny I was trying to read up this morning. It seems like JJ short (In USA) can re rubber the platens. I think there is a list of possible vendors here:
http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/tw-restoration.html

it look like in the UK you could check out these guys:

http://www.longs.co.uk/acatalog/rollers.html

Also there is a guy in the USA named Steve Dade that can do repro rubber feet for most any typewriter as well as feed rollers. I just emailed him yesterday and this morning, in fact.

Good luck, mate.

30-10-2017 10:49:17  #3

Hi Gnu,

It's not a platen I'm after, but rather, either original or 'pattern' (i.e. 'ripoff' copies) feet I'm after!  

Platen wise, I'm fortunate to have found, at least on the three machines which have arrived thus far, nothing but lovely, springy rubberiness. Bearing in mind that I'm a complete noob, I'm aiming for machines which don't appear to have anything obviously mechanically or cosmetically wrong. The only issues so far, feet aside, being a semi - functional carriage lock on the SM3 & the rather random escaped spring on the '64 SM9. I'll get around to those minor issues soon (work bench ordered!) but for now, those crumbly compressed feet are really annoying me & knowing how best to acquire replacements will make me feel better, even if I don't fit 'em right away!

I'm not sure sending anything to the US for repair / refurbishment is economically viable, tbh - absent an extremely rare machine or similar. I'm also not averse to getting my hands on a few 'clunkers' to break for spares, and getting at least one to practice my (currently non existent) mechanical skills on is probably a good idea anyway.

30-10-2017 11:02:22  #4

Oh, I see. Apologies. Yes, I read your post too quickly and read pattern as platen (and I even noted I thought you misspelled it with two 't's - shows what rush I read that in )

But, check with Steve Dade on the rubber feet. I don't know for sure, but my guess is you would not need to send your typewriter in to him... he probably has rubber feet already made up and can ship. Again, that's an assumption on my part, but it can't hurt to ask him.

nailgnr@sbcglobal.net

30-10-2017 11:18:19  #5

Ha! Hey, happens to the best of us! ;)

Regarding Steve Dade, I guess we'll soon find out - I've just mailed him.

Yeah, I can't see why anyone would need the machine as a whole just to replace the feet (although the metal 'clips' which hold them to the chassis look like they'll be a bugger), Hopefully, if he can get hold of them, he can just stick 'em in a jiffy bag & send 'em USPS mail.

30-10-2017 12:00:17  #6

Tom, who's a member here, may be able to help: http://www.thetypewriterman.co.uk/supplies.html

30-10-2017 12:26:03  #7

Nice one - thanks, FW.

Mail sent.

30-10-2017 12:40:37  #8

Also regarding your SM3 carriage lock... you say it's semi functional. What do you mean by that? Does it lock when the carriage is in the middle position?

30-10-2017 12:48:36  #9

gnuyork wrote:

Also regarding your SM3 carriage lock... you say it's semi functional. What do you mean by that? Does it lock when the carriage is in the middle position?

It's inhibiting the keys, but not locking the carriage itself - it seems not quite to engage with the carriage rail / bar, so I'm hoping this will merely (!!) be a case of adjustment. Well, that's as I recall, anyway - not had chance to get it out of the case since Thursday - it's been a little hectic here.

30-10-2017 16:47:52  #10

MancFrank wrote:

It's inhibiting the keys, but not locking the carriage itself - it seems not quite to engage with the carriage rail / bar, so I'm hoping this will merely (!!) be a case of adjustment. Well, that's as I recall, anyway - not had chance to get it out of the case since Thursday - it's been a little hectic here.

OK... mine locks but only when the carriage is in the center position. As far as I know, that's how it's supposed to work... I thought is was broken at first, same for my Olivettis.

Board footera