You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-11-2017 20:10:37  #1

Olivetti Lettera 32 -Made in Spain- Ribbon Control

The left spool spindle has stopped turning.  It would turn for a while then stop.  When reversed, the right spindle turns okay.   What could be the problem with the left side, I wonder?   I removed the ribbon to look at both spindles turn, but the left stops when you reverse it to that side.   And another thing,  I was wondering what the thin wire does that crosses diagonally on top of the right ribbon spool platform? 

09-11-2017 20:35:35  #2

Re: Olivetti Lettera 32 -Made in Spain- Ribbon Control

I noticed that the left spindle has a little vertical play or looseness and the right spindle does not.   By pushing it down from the top and holding it down with my finger tip the spindle will turn okay.  It seems my problem is solved, but how do I tighten this up?  

09-11-2017 23:27:40  #3

After racking my brain about how to fix the left spindle shaft problem, my wife came up with an easy, practical solution:  Put something underneath the ribbon cover to provide the downward pressure on top of the spindle when the cover is in place.  I just happen to have some small drawer bumpers, the dome shaped peel-n-stick kind you find in hardware stores.   Only, I had to carefully shave half the dome off so the cover would still close flat and tight. The shaved off dome bumper is now sticking under the ribbon cover directly over and against the left spindle nut when the cover is closed over it.  After a thorough test, the left ribbon spool turns just fine now.

09-11-2017 23:38:01  #4

I consider the above a temporary fix.  If someone can suggest a permanent fix, I would prefer that.

09-11-2017 23:40:05  #5

Is your Lettera missing the thumb nuts that hold down the spools?

10-11-2017 00:12:00  #6

No, I have both nuts.   With the nut on the left spool tightened, the whole assembly still has a slight looseness that the right one doesn't.  Like I mentioned above, a slight downward pressure on top of that nut makes it work like it's suppose to.  

Board footera