You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-11-2017 23:01:05  #1

Searching for little portable

Well, I am searching for some kind of little portable, I really don't mind about the color selector or tab settings, not needed, the priority would be to be small, prefereably with a covered bottom and not newer than 60's. I have read that (even with differences between specimens) both Hermes Rocket-baby and the Olympia SF are a bit "too light" or flimsy... does anyone have, used or know somethint about a ultraportable Rooy? Any other machine that I should consider?

11-11-2017 01:22:17  #2

Re: Searching for little portable

The Olympia SF is certainly not 'flimsy' at all, and the action I think you would prefer over the Little Hermes, based on the couple of Rockets I have tried.  I love the bigger Hermes machines, but the very small ones Don't do it for me at all.
Odd that you are not interested in tabs; most typists find them very useful as they progress.
The little Underwood 18 I have is a nice enough machine in a handy carrying case - though it does look a little like a lady's handbag; maybe look at that one too.  Good luck.

Sincerely,
beak.

11-11-2017 17:17:57  #3

"Too light" or "flimsy" are - as beak pointed out - two adjectives that I would never use to describe an Olympia SF, which has to be one of the most solid ultra-portables ever produced. It can be argued that the Olympia/Optima Plana is an even more robust machine, but it has a terrible type action, something that Olympia greatly improved upon with the introduction of the SF range of models.

​The Hermes Baby/Rocket has a lighter type action, and is actually a nice machine, but overall it lacks the sculpted-from-billet feel that the Olympia exudes.

​Many would probably cast a vote for the Lettera 22, it is readily available and performs well, but my large-size hands have never easily adapted to the Olivetti keyboard.

​Keeping easy-to-find models on the forefront, I think models such as the Smith-Corona Skyriter, Triumph Tippa, Keller & Knappich Princess, Royal Royalite, Consul 232/311, and any number of Brother models to be worthy of consideration too. There are so many different ultra-portables out there, and thankfully most of them are decent typewriters and only a few would be models that I would avoid at all costs.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-11-2017 02:15:49  #4

Thank you for the answers and advice both. I have one Antares Compact and even is in a really good shape it is not the best typer in the collection, I guess I compare it with the other (bigger) typewriters I use, but it is not my cup of tea. I would like to replace it for another that I will use more and happier. I am trying to get a "bed time" typewriter and that is why I don't find tabs a priority, just a confortable, nice action and sturdy.

15-11-2017 12:17:44  #5

steini wrote:

I have one Antares Compact and even is in a really good shape it is not the best typer in the collection, I guess I compare it with the other (bigger) typewriters I use, but it is not my cup of tea.

​Unfortunately no ultra-portable is able to compete with the performance characteristics of a larger machine, definitely not those of a standard; there is a price to be paid for an ultra-portable's compact size and added convenience. I have an Antares Compact and it's not a bad typewriter, there are worse, but the Olympia SF is without question a more robust model, but you should be warned that its type action is heavier.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-11-2017 23:09:59  #6

Uwe wrote:

​Keeping easy-to-find models on the forefront, I think models such as the Smith-Corona Skyriter, Triumph Tippa, Keller & Knappich Princess, Royal Royalite, Consul 232/311, and any number of Brother models to be worthy of consideration too. There are so many different ultra-portables out there, and thankfully most of them are decent typewriters and only a few would be models that I would avoid at all costs.

What about the ones that are difficult to find? I mean, in Iceland no typewriter is easy to find so I will just need to get it abroad anyways. Since I am making the effort of searching I was thinking on the Rooy portable, or even a Kolibri, but maybe this last one could be too heavy for the lap. Any other recomemdationd for search?

01-1-2018 19:36:27  #7

The 1907 Bennett is known for it's ultra-portability...but it's a pain to use.
I'm not sure what you'd need it for, but my suggestions would be the 1920s Underwood 3-bank.  Very small, very sturdy, and very light.  It has the old cast-iron construction so it's very solid.  The action is a bit loud and snappy, but it's overall a pretty good piece of machinery, though not nearly as nice as larger machines.  The early Remington Portables are very good as well.  Light, low-profile, and very easy to use.  My favorite portable is definitely the 1930s Royal Model P.  It's a bit heavy, around 20 pounds, but it types like a dream.  It has a nice light touch, and a great mechanical feel, and it's very well made, though not the kind of machine you'd want to throw around too much, and not the most "portable".

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera