You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-11-2017 11:48:06  #1

Underwood Electric Model 16

I recently purchased a vintage Underwood typewriter.  It is electric and shows a model #16 on the back.  The serial number looks like E16-7-350535.  It definitely looks like there is a dash between the 7 and the 3, which is throwing me off in trying to determine the year it was made/sold.  

It came with ribbon which is now very faint and I would like to replace it, however, I cannot seem to remove the metal spools, nor do I have a clue as to the replacement spools it will take.  

Please help!  

-tarriejo-

17-11-2017 12:28:13  #2

Re: Underwood Electric Model 16

Are you sure about that dash after the 7? Assuming there isn't a dash - because it doesn't really make sense for there to be one there - my guess is that you have a 1953 model.

​I would assume that generic 13 mm (½ inch) typewriter ribbon will work with that machine. You can leave the original spools in place (I wouldn't replace them if there were the original ones) and just wind the new ribbon from whatever spool it comes on to one of your machine's spools.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-11-2017 14:04:07  #3

I was thinking it was odd seeing that extra dash.  As for the spools, I tried to no avail to gently lift out the existing ones. I honestly did not really want to because they look so much nicer. I'm ordering the ribbon now and cannot wait to use it!

Thanks so much for the tips!!

-tarriejo-

17-11-2017 23:08:57  #4

Hi TJ

​Does this unit have actual spools or is it equipped with the metal core and removable top plate? Some Underwoods and Remingtons both used the latter system where the ribbon turntable and center are part of the typewriter, the ribbon is wound onto a metal core and the whole assembly is capped off with the cover plate. See if this looks like your ribbon system and let us know if this helps. All the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

21-11-2017 21:56:01  #5

It has the latter where the ribbon turntables seems to be a part of the typewriter and only the cover plates can be removed.  I received some ribbon today and managed to remove the old ribbon and replace it with the new without too much trouble.  The tricky part was trying to figure out how to weave the ribbon back through the bracket that moves the ribbon up and down.  I think I got it right but it still pops out after on occasion.  There are other small levers beside that bracket that seem to have some role in holding the ribbon in place but I cannot seem to figure out how it winds around it.

-tarriejo-

22-11-2017 00:21:04  #6

Hi Again TJ

​Without having a Pinterest account, I can only see the small pictures, however if I understand you correctly, the two small levers you speak of, are the two triangular levers either side of the type guide. These levers are card holders and have nothing to do with the ribbon. The purpose of these levers is to hold index cards against the platen while the top 2 or 3 lines are being typed on the card. Once you're typing the 4th line and so on, the top of the index card can then be tucked under the paper bale and held against the platen by the rollers. Keep experimenting with threading and re-threading the ribbon through the vibrator and let us know how you make out. Regards,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

22-11-2017 12:06:08  #7

Hello Sky,

I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures here yet so I apologize for the small images.  What you described makes perfect sense.  I was actually going to try typing on an index card the first time around but found some old stationery instead.  I'll play with the index cards and the triangular levers to see if I can get the hang of it.  

Thanks again for all your help.  I feel like a child with a new toy!  I'm so excited to start using my typewriter and beginning some fun projects.

Regards,
Tarrie

-tarriejo-

Board footera