You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-11-2017 18:09:35  #1

Ribbon holder won't move up when I type

I am new to typewriters, so please forgive me for my lack of correct terminology. I recently got my grandma's old typewriter, and I found that the thing that holds the ribbon and moves it up when I type isn't working. The typewriter is a Royal typewriter. I don't know what kind it is, but I found a serial number A-2023986 if that's any help. There's a triangle shaped lever to the right of the holder that has two positions: up and right. I tried both positions and only a few times did the holder move up right afterwards, however it did not make a lasting difference and the typewriter continues to not move up. Any suggestions?
P.S. I'd like to include a few pictures of the typewriter to possibly help with any answers, but I don't know how. Any suggestions?

17-11-2017 20:22:51  #2

Re: Ribbon holder won't move up when I type

Hi, and welcome. The triangle-shaped thing I think your describing sounds like the card finger. It's function is to hold things like the tops of thick paper closer to the platen, and wouldn't affect the movement of the ribbon vibrator  (the moving part you are talking about) unless it is catching on that part, which it should not.

The ribbon color selector is the lever just above the right of the keys, and this controls the height of the ribbon vibrator. Black (center lever position)--which you should do most of your typing on--is to type on the top half of the ribbon, red (left) raises the vibrator higher to type on the bottom of the ribbon, and the third option (right) is stencil which disengages the vibrator. Make sure the lever is not in the stencil position. If it is set to black or red and is still not moving, than you have an issue that may be: a dirty mechanism, the vibrator being slightly bent, the ribbon not feeding correctly and dragging and keeping the vibrator from raising, or another issue. Make sure the color selector is not on stencil and check that the ribbon is threaded correctly and feeding. If these two things are correct, the next step would be to clean, and if it is still not working, then look into mechanical issues. You can find the user manual for your machine, which I think is a 1950 Quiet De Luxe, on this page here:

17-11-2017 20:27:53  #3

Hi Domonic

​Welcome to the fascinating world of typewriters. By the serial number, I'd be inclined to say you have a Quiet De-Luxe or a QDL variant such as an Arrow. If the ribbon vibrator is not lifting the ribbon, check the ribbon color selector lever setting. This lever is located on the front of the typewriter just above the asterisk key and has 3 positions, red, blue and white. Set this lever to the middle or blue position and the vibrator should lift the ribbon. If it doesn't, something has probably come adrift inside the machine.

​The little lever you mention is call the card holder. This lever is moved to the up position when typing index cards and holds the card against the platen (roller) until the first few l card has been ines have been typed on the card and the top of the card can be tucked under the paper bale (top rollers). As for how to post pictures, please read through the FAQ section of this forum for a step by step instructional. Hopefully, this will point you in the right direction,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

17-11-2017 20:28:37  #4

dominic.ark wrote:

P.S. I'd like to include a few pictures of the typewriter to possibly help with any answers, but I don't know how. Any suggestions?

The instructions on posting photos are here. You will need to have three posts before you can post photos.

17-11-2017 23:24:12  #5

Hi Soucek

​Looks like you and I were both replying to Domonic at the same time, but it looks like we're both on the same page ​. Always enjoy reading your posts and answers,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

18-11-2017 01:21:23  #6

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Soucek

​Looks like you and I were both replying to Domonic at the same time, but it looks like we're both on the same page ​. Always enjoy reading your posts and answers,

Sky

Thanks, Sky. I saw that right after I posted the second part. I liked your wording better, so I am glad you posted at the same time.

Board footera