You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-11-2017 01:11:03  #1

Olivetti Leterra 32

Thought I’d ask again since I didn’t get a reply the first time.  What is the purpose of the thin wire that crosses diagonally on both ribbon spool platforms?

21-11-2017 23:41:51  #2

Re: Olivetti Leterra 32

Hi Gaust

​From what I can tell, this wire is to keep both ribbon platforms in sync. That is, when the eyelet in the ribbon kicks the left spool into gear, the right spool is shifted into neutral and vise versa so the ribbon traverses smoothly and changes direction when needed without binding or stretching . Hope this helps and all the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

22-11-2017 17:52:36  #3

Re: Olivetti Leterra 32

Thank you, Sky.  It might have something to do with the ribbon transfer mechanism, as you say, but on my machine, the left ribbon platform does not have one of those wires.  The one on the right does, however.   But I wonder if it has anything to do with my problem concerning the left ribbon spool not turning to collect the ribbon.  My previous post on this, I stated that the spool shaft does have a little vertical play  (1 mm), and when i put my finger on top of the nut that holds the ribbon spool, the shaft turns as it should ( I stuck a small rubber dome bumper underneath the ribbon cover to apply this pressure directly on top of the nut, and it works ).  I don't know how the wire would correct this, however.

Board footera