You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-11-2017 12:50:19  #1

Pros and Cons of using a Dremel

I´m thinking about acquiring a Dremel, and I´m wondering whether it´s a good idea to use it on typewriters or not.
I mean, the main use I can come up with is removing rust from REALLY rusted parts and at least in theory it could save me a lot of work. But I´m worried about several things:

- Wouldn´t it be too easy to damage something?
- Wouldn´t it be, as we say, killing flies with a cannon? (Too powerful tool for the job)
- I´ve heard Dremel polishing sets vaporize upon using them for seconds. Are they worth it or it´s better to go on with the wet foil trick?

The final goal of everything is trying to bring a rust bucket back into decent shape, but in the middle there are many typewriters which need repairs. After all, it can be summarized as whether a Dremel is worth it or not.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

29-11-2017 14:00:43  #2

Re: Pros and Cons of using a Dremel

I am interested in hearing folks' thoughts on this as well. I would tend to think that using a chemical rust remover is easier, but I can see where a Dremel would be very useful, and much quicker than the chemical approach.

29-11-2017 14:06:42  #3

I own a few different "Dremel"-like tools and have yet to use one on a typewriter. Regardless, it really boils down to the type of attachments, bits, etc. that you choose to fit to the tool. For example, if you select a mild action fitment and use the tool on its lower speeds there would be a minimum risk in damaging a part. 

​Should you buy one? I suppose it would depend on how many machines you would actually use it on, and what specifically you wanted the tool to do when using it on a typewriter. If it's just to remove surface rust from the odd plated part it's probably not necessary, but then again, they aren't very expensive and you could easily justify the cost by rationalizing that its versatility would make it handy for other things around the house.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-11-2017 14:10:38  #4

Fleetwing wrote:

I would tend to think that using a chemical rust remover is easier, but I can see where a Dremel would be very useful, and much quicker than the chemical approach.

​I go the chemical route, but it does require - it most cases - that you remove the part from the typewriter. For that extra effort I believe you get a better job, and if the claims on the product's bottle is to be believed, it protects that part from rusting again. 

​Assuming that we're talking about a plated part, if the machine is of any value then it's best just to have that part replated, a process during which the rust along with the old plating is chemically removed first.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-11-2017 17:54:05  #5

I agree with Uwe in that it depends upon the attachment.  But I'd like to add that you must be able to maintain control while using it.

If you are polishing with a buffing wheel and compound it's really hard to mess up.  If you are grinding away rust with a grinding stone and the tool slips you might wish you had done things by hand.

Power tools can do things not just faster but also better if done right.  If done wrong they can create a disaster albeit a somewhat minor disaster considering the size of a Dremel.

04-12-2017 09:53:51  #6

Thanks for the input! I´ve been thinking about it and finally a decission has been made:

No Dremel for now.

I think I won´t use it enough to justify the expense. Yeah, it could be useful in some cases, but not enough to make me buy it. Buffing discs can come in handy, but as far as I know they don´t last long and the wet foil is working wonders on my Smith Premier 10-A. I´m testing various things on that poor thing, and so far I haven´t needed a Dremel for anything. And should the need come, I can scrounge a Dremel from a friend for a while. Even if the risk of damaging something is not that high, the problem is that I don´t really need it (even if it could come in handy).

What I´ve found EXTREMELY useful is an air compressor. I´ve finally had it repaired and it´s saved me a lot of time. What it asks in return is a good headache. It´s so noisy!

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

Board footera