You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-11-2017 19:11:32  #1

HELP! I am a beginner and went to far with taking apart a Remington

Please help, I am a beginner at restoring typewriters and have taken apart my Remington Monarch 196X to far. I did not follow the warnings of being careful to not go to far.

I was trying to get down deep to remove all dust and grime, I took many pictures along the way but could not get pictures of everything. 

Nothing broke and no items were lost along the way.

Am I SOL?!?! or is there assembly instruction online somewhere?!!?

29-11-2017 23:29:00  #2

Re: HELP! I am a beginner and went to far with taking apart a Remington

Well, if you took pictures in should not be so difficult, but depends what pictures you did! Try to mount it as much as you can and post pictures of where are you stuck, maybe someone can help you if they have a machine like that, but don't leave it for later and do it now while you are still fresh and you didn't loose any piece. Good luck with that,  you learnt something very important there, typewriters are not really simple to take apart and build again and sometimes is better to leave it a bit dirty rather than doing a work that you certainly cannot accomplish, yet.

30-11-2017 23:21:05  #3

Hi MS11

​You may need to drive a few or many miles, but there is always the option of locating a typewriter repair shop and taking in the box of parts. I run a small engine repair shop, and I've lost count over the years of how many machines have been brought to me in a box of pieces. This then becomes a matter of economic feasibility as to whether it's worth my time at shop rate to put the machine back together Vs the customer putting that money towards a new machine.

In the case of a typewriter, they're no longer being made*, so it becomes a matter of how much you are willing to spend on this machine if you yourself are not able to get it back together and working properly. That being said though, many of us here have run into similar situations with our typewriters and with the help of other forum members have been able to get our machines back together. Therefore, best of luck and keep us posted,

Sky

* Except the cheap Chinese knockoffs sold by Michaels.

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

04-12-2017 09:59:22  #4

This happened to me with an Antares S20 Efficiency, and I had to take it to the repair shop. The good part is that the typewriter ended up fully restored and I learnt a couple of things in the process.

Everybody starts from scratch, so you can expect to make mistakes (as I´m sure everybody here made and still make), but seize the opportunity and learn something from it. Everything has a good and a bad side!

The bad side of this is that quite a few typewriters have reached the end of the line this way, though.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

04-12-2017 16:09:33  #5

This is essentially why I am procrastinating with cleaning my recently acquired machines. I fear that I won't be able to put them back together.

04-12-2017 16:43:00  #6

Do what I do -- clean only what you can get at without taking anything apart, unless it's really, really simple! I know that's pretty pathetic, but "do no harm" is what guides me.

Meanwhile, I hope the original poster is able to find a repair guy who can set things right with his machine. 

04-12-2017 17:26:56  #7

Well, I have a couple that really need to come apart for cleaning. One has rust flakes all over from rusted bottom. Luckily for two of those I have identical duplicate machines for (wasn't planned, just happened).

17-12-2017 18:29:22  #8

Thanks for the reply everybody... I definitely learnt my lesson with this one, best to clean what you can without taking it apart. I will be searching for a typewriter repair store in hopes i can solve my struggles. 

Appreciate the feedback, will update how it turns out.

18-12-2017 01:32:14  #9

Hi Again

​Where are you located? we may be able to point you towards a reputable typewriter repair shop in your area. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera