You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-12-2017 15:08:52  #1

1971-ish Olivetti Lettera 32 ribbon reverse

Hey all,

I've had this Lettera 32 for some time now. I am pretty sure the ribbon is supposed to reverse automatically each time it gets loaded up on one spool, but mine seems to just get stuck. I'd like to repair this myself, but as this machine is very special to me I don't want to just start tinkering with things. 
Note: it loads onto the left spool and then I have to manually reverse it onto the right.
Any ideas? 

31-12-2017 15:35:41  #2

Re: 1971-ish Olivetti Lettera 32 ribbon reverse

Welcome to the forum !  And Happy New Year !  Let's start with some basics.  Are you using the correct ribbon ?  The ribbon for your machine should have a metal eyelet set into it near each end.  The ribbon should pass through the reversing fork on each side before it reaches the ribbon vibrator in the middle.  If the ribbon is correctly fitted but has no reversing eyelets, or is the correct one but the ribbon does not pass through the reversing forks so that the eyelets can trip them - then that is why the automatic ribbon reverse isn't functioning.  If you already know this, let us know and we can go deeper into the problem for you.

31-12-2017 16:10:43  #3

Re: 1971-ish Olivetti Lettera 32 ribbon reverse

Ah, well, there you have it. After looking at images of Olivetti Lettera 32 ribbons online, I see now that mine is different. Luckily office depot is open today, so I'll got buy one and see if it makes a difference. 
Thanks and Happy New Year to you too

Board footera