You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-1-2018 17:06:41  #1

Narrow platen Underwood, what for?

What is this typewriter for??

05-1-2018 17:30:37  #2

Re: Narrow platen Underwood, what for?

What about the large circular silver device on the lower right corner, and the two oval keys above it? This looks almost like a custom modification. For what, I have no idea. I'm guessing you saw this in an antique store?

05-1-2018 17:40:31  #3

Antique shop and quite expensive... but still courious. I didn't get to touch it but what I know is that there is only capital letters and the silver thing seem to be a extension of thd space bar. There is one key thay says MS, which reminds me to the calculators but it could be whatever.

05-1-2018 18:40:10  #4

How expensive? I'd say it's pretty desirable as a special model. It looks factory and looks like it takes a roll of paper. I don't think they had adhesive labels in those days; maybe a roll of preprinted labels, non-adhesive but cut-apart for inserting, taping, or glueing; or just plain paper. Dunno about the "MS" but it's a clue.

05-1-2018 18:55:55  #5

This is a machine to produce stencils for the Elliott Stencil Machine. its rare to find these.

My blog - Just Typewriters

05-1-2018 19:51:01  #6

Well if someone wants it I can buy it for him! 190 dollars oooops pain in my heart. It was reaaaaally dirty anyway, oily!

07-1-2018 17:23:34  #7

Very neat. It looks like a variant of Underwood's 'Fanfold' machines set up to handle a specific form. The large metal key might have been the automatic paper advance that would have spooled out the completed form and set up the next one in line. I've read about Fanfold models being used as part of a company's order taking process, but I'm sure there were many different uses/requirements for such machines and it wouldn't be a surprise if this one was custom ordered to handle one specific company's needs.

​It would be interesting to know if there are any other markings or stickers on the typewriter, and I'd also be curious to see what the back of the machine looked like.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-1-2018 22:03:39  #8

I will take a look on any stickers or markings tomorrow, also I will take a picture of the back if they let me move it around :-)

11-1-2018 23:31:42  #9

If it's in an antique shop you could always offer a much lower price. I've done that numerous times with decent success. The machine may have been sitting in there for years and the store owner might be happy to just get rid of it, especially that it can't be used as a practical typewriter and would only ever appeal to a collector who wants an unusual ornament for his shelf. I'd probably pay up to $90 for the thing, but that would be pushing it. And if you're going back anyway, please take more pictures! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-1-2018 23:28:54  #10

Looked to me like an index machine...never seen the likes before.  Very fascinating...reminded me of those straight margain machines.  Anyone have one, or know how it works?  They’re the kind that make the text line up on the left and the right.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera