You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-1-2014 18:37:54  #1

Any Selectric repair people?

I feel bad that all I have to talk about is a Selectric typewriter, but I'm working on getting some other typewriters too- I just find that selectrics are commonly given out for free around here. 

Anyway, a nice fellow offered me his Selectric II, and I took it primarily because he had with it a handful of elements, some tape, a manual, and most importantly, it was a dual pitch. 

Sadly, this one had seen it's last day, as after opening it and removing the safety inserts I saw some pretty serious damage.

I'll spare the nitty gritty, but essentially the carriage return cable had slipped off the spool, and gotten caught up in the clutch mechanism. The motor caught it while spinning, and wound it all over the place and nearly snapped it against the corner of some metal framework.
Also, one of the metal bands for controlling the element had slipped off it's wheel.

I'm wondering if there are any people here that know a fair bit about Selectrics, as I would really like to have this one working. My current II is in mediocre shape while the broken one is a dual pitch, black model in fantastic condition. 
Now I would assume that the carriage return mechanism, or at least the cable, can be pulled from one and given to the other- is this true?
If so, how difficult would one find this to be? 

Thanks! I can post photos if necessary.

15-1-2014 23:04:13  #2

Re: Any Selectric repair people?

I have an assortment of new Selectric parts, but don't know a thing about the machines. If you figure out what you need I can check to see if I have it. Can't understand why they're giving them away wherever it is you are, but here in Toronto sellers are asking stupid prices for beaten up models. I've always wanted an original Selectric in the collection but am still waiting for one that is reasonably priced to turn up.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-1-2014 23:23:13  #3

I'm guessing you took them apart though, eh? I would like to know if there's an easy way to remove the main carriage. 

I'm in Vancouver, and I find that the craigslist here is extremely active. Don't get me wrong, there are still those who list them for $250+, but every now and then there's one up for $15 or less. 

16-1-2014 00:10:31  #4

I've been careful to avoid electric typewriters, so I've never owned a Selectric, nor taken one apart. However, I recently broke down and bought a couple, a 1958 Smith-Corona Electric Portable and another, newer version of it.

In our neck of the country the ads for $100+ Selectrics are the majority. I have seen a few that were in the $25 range, but they were well-beaten examples.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-1-2014 17:01:23  #5

Strange. I'm assuming you're taking prices off Criaglist too, eh? 

Regardless, I'm scrapping the repair. The metal band now appears to be torn in half, and I'm not experienced enough to be meddling with the control ribbons. Too bad too, as I would have been able to fix up the rest of it. 

Well, it would seem that there isn't a huge amount of knowledge for Selectric repair, so I might take it upon myself to tear down and attempt to put this machine back together. It would be a very good idea to see if I can't learn a thing or two. 

17-1-2014 17:17:46  #6

I found this website with scanned copies of the IBM Selectric repair manuals http://www.selectric.org/selectric/index.html  Could be worth a look !

17-1-2014 17:21:29  #7

Those appear to be just the user manuals, of which I have...
Close, but no cigar.

17-1-2014 17:50:13  #8

Sorry, I've just realised too !  Try this one :  http://archive.org/stream/bitsavers_ibmtypewrishootingTheIBMSelectricTypewriter_48581416/Troubleshooting_The_IBM_Selectric_Typewriter_djvu.txt     It would be better if the photos were visible (which they aren't) but useful nevertheless.  And to think that I paid a small fortune for this book in the 70's, and it's free on line now !  I'm pretty sure that the official IBM manuals are online too somewhere.  I'll keep looking ! 

18-1-2014 15:58:09  #9

28-1-2014 00:07:18  #10

Hi Defect X11

This is the electric typewriter section of a typewriter discussion forum so I feel your post is right at home here. As far as Selectric repair shops go, I took an IBM Selectric 82 into Brentwood Business Systems in Calgary here in Alberta. BBS has been in business since 1981 so I would guess they are well versed with the Selectric. The unit I took in was really gummed up in the keyboard area.

When I dropped the unit off, I counted at least 12 other Selectrics in the repair shop. I just got a phone call saying the repair bill will be around the $120.00 mark. As I only paid $20.00 at a fund raising yard sale, I figure it's worth it. Besides, getting this unit up and running is a late Christmas present for my wife. I'll let you know how the service job turned out after we collect the machine on Feb 10th. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera