You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-1-2018 16:38:11  #1

Olivetti Lettera 32(Italy) ribbon spool & carriage lock issues

Hello guys. Earlier today I had a chance to jump on a decent deal for the above piece. The seller listed it as 'barely used'. Went over and did some basic checks( some of which I gathered from the videos floating around). I will not venture out to say that this time around I was completely careful but it was certainly an improvement from the last purchase(Adler Tippa S). This Leterra 32 is a 1965 model. Made in Italy, Sea-foam aluminum chassis. Well, excitement got the better of me and I overlooked the following:

(a) Spool nut was missing. Instead, a nut from a hardware shop was used to keep the ribbon on the right in place.The photos will give you a better idea how that was fitted. If you see the carefully, there is a rubber-like sleeve/casing placed on the spool shaft onto which the ribbon sits. The nut is tightened to keep it in place. I did not see this until I got home to do a little clean-up. At this point, I realised that the original spool nut was supposed to be on both spools. Fortunately, when I flipped the machine around to check the rubber feets, it dropped out. I went on to replace it without the rubber sleeve. I tried typing with this setup and there was no spinning of the spools either end. In other words, the ribbon did not move as it is supposed to and my prints became faint. This was not the case when I have the rubber sleeve and hardware shop nut in place. It worked fine. I also noticed that the original nut remained slightly 'afloat' when it was supposed to sit flat and snuggly onto the spool. Any idea what is the problem here?

The second issue is straightforward. The carriage lock lever does not lock the carriage. The lever moves up and down though. Perhaps the pictures below will give you a better idea. The pictures show the lever in an engaged and disengaged position. 

I would appreciate if you good people can guide me with your extensive knowledge and experience in fixing the above.

17-1-2018 17:06:54  #2

Re: Olivetti Lettera 32(Italy) ribbon spool & carriage lock issues

Can't help you with the carriage lock. And I'm not sure I can help with the spool nut either -- the great news is that you found the original spool nut, but I'm wondering whether the hex nut/rubber sleeve was done because the spool nut didn't work, rather than because it went missing. Have you tried that spool nut on the other spool? Do the two spool shafts look identical? I'm just wondering there's a problem with that spool shaft, and the hex nut/rubber sleeve was a good (if inelegant) fix.

I've always thought that the Olivetti spool and nut system was not great, since it all depends on getting things tight but not too tight -- you have to keep checking it.

17-1-2018 17:43:50  #3

Can't help with the spool nut until you have answered Fleetwing's questions.  I can help with the carriage lock though.  The lower plate is obviously stuck (it should jump up under the tension of the spring once the chrome lever is moved).  The most likely cause is that it has got bent.  You will need to remove it, put it on a firm flat surface, ideally an anvil, and gently hammer it flat.  Refit it, and it should work fine.  Do try lubricating it with sewing machine oil and working it with a screwdriver before removing it.  If it is simply stuck and not bent, you may save yourself some dismantling.

23-1-2018 12:14:21  #4

Fleetwing wrote:

Can't help you with the carriage lock. And I'm not sure I can help with the spool nut either -- the great news is that you found the original spool nut, but I'm wondering whether the hex nut/rubber sleeve was done because the spool nut didn't work, rather than because it went missing. Have you tried that spool nut on the other spool? Do the two spool shafts look identical? I'm just wondering there's a problem with that spool shaft, and the hex nut/rubber sleeve was a good (if inelegant) fix.

I've always thought that the Olivetti spool and nut system was not great since it all depends on getting things tight but not too tight -- you have to keep checking it.

Hey Fleetwing. Good news! I got the carriage lock fixed with a little clean-up. I got some q-tips with zippo and cleaned the gunk that was between pieces. The build-up was the reason for it to not 'snap' back in position. 

As for the spool nut issue, I swapped the nuts and it worked. The ribbons spools are not identical but it somewhat worked. I am guessing the inner threading of that nut was a little dirty. More zippo and a thorough clean-up of the shaft and the nut's thread got it working as it is supposed to. I am not sure if the spools are Olivetti originals. Any idea if the above spool is an original one? Also, I can't seem to find any picture of the original spool that comes with the Lettera. It would help if I have a reference. Thank you!

23-1-2018 12:25:49  #5

thetypewriterman wrote:

Can't help with the spool nut until you have answered Fleetwing's questions.  I can help with the carriage lock though.  The lower plate is obviously stuck (it should jump up under the tension of the spring once the chrome lever is moved).  The most likely cause is that it has got bent.  You will need to remove it, put it on a firm flat surface, ideally an anvil, and gently hammer it flat.  Refit it, and it should work fine.  Do try lubricating it with sewing machine oil and working it with a screwdriver before removing it.  If it is simply stuck and not bent, you may save yourself some dismantling.

Hey Typewriterman. I got the carriage lock fixed. It was stuck but was not bent. Phew! A nice clean-up got it going. Now that I got it all cleaned up, would a drop or two of Singer sewing machine on the hinges be any good? We don't have gun oil here and WD40 seems like the only go-to lubricant/

Moreover, Is it necessary to remove the carriage rail for a proper clean-up? Will compressed air do the trick? I managed to dig up much of the gunk using a wooden skewer. 

What would be a better choice is cleaning up the rubber platen and restoring it back to its original condition? I was told that a rubber rejuvenator would be perfect. 

Thank you!

23-1-2018 12:52:12  #6

So I'm a little confused. Did you try installing both of the correct spool nuts (i.e. no hex nut, no rubber sleeve over the shaft)? That should help indicate whether there is a problem with one of the spools, which is my suspicion -- though from the pictures you attached, both spools look like correct Olivetti spools. The spool nuts are supposed to tighten down just enough to work, so perhaps the hole in the spool that had the hex nut/rubber sleeve setup was just a touch too wide to work.

23-1-2018 15:07:24  #7

Fleetwing wrote:

So I'm a little confused. Did you try installing both of the correct spool nuts (i.e. no hex nut, no rubber sleeve over the shaft)? That should help indicate whether there is a problem with one of the spools, which is my suspicion -- though from the pictures you attached, both spools look like correct Olivetti spools. The spool nuts are supposed to tighten down just enough to work, so perhaps the hole in the spool that had the hex nut/rubber sleeve setup was just a touch too wide to work.

Hey Fleetwing, Sorry for the confusion. Here is what I did: I took out the hex nut and sleeve which was on the right spool shaft. The spool nut that I found in the typewriter was used in place to keep this spool in place. It did not work. I switched the spool nuts after cleaning both the shafts and the nuts' inner threads. At this point in time, the spool nut that was originally on the left spool is now fitted onto the spool shaft on the right. The spool that is shown in the pictures is different from the other one. I will upload a few pictures later today for clarity.

24-1-2018 05:23:09  #8

Singer Sewing machine oil is absolutely ideal.  NEVER use WD-40 on a typewriter !  Also, NEVER remove the carriage !  Yes, compressed air will work, but be careful not to dislodge any springs.  For cleaning, Methylated Spirits (called De-Natured Alcohol in the USA) would be the best for the platen.  You can also clean the typeface with it, using an old toothbrush.

25-1-2018 04:42:30  #9

thetypewriterman wrote:

Singer Sewing machine oil is absolutely ideal.  NEVER use WD-40 on a typewriter !  Also, NEVER remove the carriage !  Yes, compressed air will work, but be careful not to dislodge any springs.  For cleaning, Methylated Spirits (called De-Natured Alcohol in the USA) would be the best for the platen.  You can also clean the typeface with it, using an old toothbrush.

Hey typewriterman. I will never use wd-40 for sure. Just yesterday I was over at a gun shop and was recommended a Birchwood Casey gun oil for use as a lubricant. They had Hoppes' 9 gun oil but was told Casey's was better. I asked about using compressed air to flush out gunk from deep ends and they got me a gun scrubber( https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning-and-Maintenance/Cleaning-Maintenance/Gun-Scrubber%C2%AE-Synthetic-Firearm-Cleaner-Aerosol-1.aspx  ). I was not sure if this would be a better substitute for a compressed air duster. It has petroleum in it. Also, being a gun cleaner, would it be too much for delicate parts like springs to handle given it dispenses air at a higher pressure/velocity? Let me know If it is ok to go ahead with the scrubber dislodge the remaining dirt deep in the carriage area and get it lubed up for use.

25-1-2018 16:09:24  #10

Since I am based in England, where the use and ownership of firearms is strictly controlled, firearms cleaning products are not in general circulation.  I cannot give you a first-hand opinion other than to wonder if there is anything in the spray that would dissolve plastic.  That might be a possibility since (as far as I know) plastic parts aren't commonly used in weapons.  Other than that reservation, I cannot see any real problems using it.  Why not give it a very cautious try and let everyone know if it worked out OK ?

Board footera