You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-1-2014 23:32:32  #1

Removing platen from Remington Portable #3?

I can't seem to figure out how to remove the platen on my Remington Portable #3. I have a Remington Model 1 that I know how to take the platen off, but following the same protocol, I can't get it off of the #3.

I'm stumped!

16-1-2014 00:23:09  #2

Re: Removing platen from Remington Portable #3?

Most typewriter-platens come apart in more or less the same way. Some are a little more complicated than others, but with portables, it should be relatively simple. 

1st. Step. 

Remove right platen-knob. 

This should just screw in, or be held in by screws. Loosen said screws and pull (or twist) the knob off. 

2nd Step. 

Remove Platen ROD. 

The ROD is the steel shaft INSIDE the platen. On most typewriters, this is removed by unscrewing a screw on the platen-core, and then pulling on the left platen-knob (there may be another screw here to loosen), and pulling the whole rod out. 

The platen would now be loose, inside the carriage. 

Now, set the line-spacer to Double (or triple, if it allows) spacing. Lift up the paper-bales and lift the platen out. (You may need to wriggle it). 

That's how I removed the platen on my Underwood Portable when I had to fiddle with the feed-rollers. I suspect it's a similar process for Remington. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

16-1-2014 00:49:39  #3

This is the same way I remove the platen from my Model 1, but it doesn't seem to work for the #3.

16-1-2014 05:08:41  #4

IN what way does the Model 3 differ from the Model 1? Apart from the fact that you don't have to raise the typebars to use the machine? 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

26-1-2014 20:20:39  #5

I'm not sure what's really different about it. I've been peering over it and it looks basically the same, but I can't seem to get past the part where the rod pulls out. Maybe it's just stuck in there? 

27-1-2014 05:55:10  #6

The rod is typically held in by one or more screws that secure it to the platen. That's how most are secured, as far as I understand. Perhaps a drop of oil down the screw-holes might help. 

28-1-2014 22:48:01  #7

Shangas,

Your instructions were very helpful & I got the right-hand knob off my Remington Deluxe Model 5 but the platen will not disengage from the left-hand knob.  There does not appear to be any screws holding the LH knob.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Last edited by Ten Thumbs (29-1-2014 12:37:17)

29-1-2014 03:20:52  #8

Platens are held into typewriters extremely simply. You've removed the right platen-knob. Now you need to remove the platen-ROD. The steel rod inside the platen. It's held in-place by a screw (or possibly, screws, there may be two) on the platen itself. Rotate the platen until you find these screws. Loosen them (LOOSEN. Do not REMOVE). 

Once loosened, then you can pull off the left platen-knob. And the rod should come out with it. 

Now, you set the line-space to double or triple spacing. Raise the paper-bales and then just lift the platen out. 

Do not completely remove the screws on the platen, that hold in the platen-rod. There's a chance that they may fall off and get lost inside the typewriter. You wouldn't want that to happen! It happened to me once, and it was a huge pain in the ass getting the screw out! 

29-1-2014 12:48:10  #9

Sorry, I had a typo in my original message.  It's the LH side that won't come out. 

When I got the RH knob off, I was able to see & remove the small screw holding the platen rod & remove the rod by itself.  The RH end of the platen raises up like it wants to come out but it won't disengage from the LH side.  The LH knob does not have any screw holding it & almost appears to be glued onto a shaft and the center of this shaft open with internal threads.

Many thanks for your advice.

30-1-2014 18:56:10  #10

Now I'm confused... 

I assume that this is your typewriter? The Remington 5?

If it's anything like the Underwood I use, once you've removed the platen, the feed-rollers should just lift out. 

Board footera