You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-1-2018 14:44:14  #1

1948 Remmington Rand Deluxe Model 5, I believe

Hello,

I have a 1948 Remington Rand Deluxe Model 5, I believe; I couldn't find the serial number anywhere, but it looks like the same machine () I cleaned it up while waiting for the ribbon, which arrived yesterday.

I have 3 problems I would like help with, if you please:

1. Although the platen catches the paper on the first go, it usually requires a few rotations before the top of the page comes up --- crooked.

2. The Self-Starter key is unreliable. Sometimes it's 4, 8, half the platen; hitting the space bar 4 times is less annoying. How do I adjust its setting?

3. Last but not least, after typing a few pages, I tried using the margin release key and the bell hasn't rang since.

image link: http://imgbox.com/TV7nB4Lr

29-1-2018 01:14:27  #2

Re: 1948 Remmington Rand Deluxe Model 5, I believe

First problem, make sure your feed rollers don’t have any flat spots.  Use the paper release leaver to straighten out the page once it’s in.  Second problem, no idea, sorry.  Third problem, check the right margin.  Usually the issue is the small leaver that hits the bell striker as it passes over.  When you return the carriage, it flips up allowing it to pass over the bell striker.  Sometimes it gets stuck in the up position and doesn’t ring the bell.
Let me know what you discover, and we’ll work from there

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

29-1-2018 12:41:59  #3

Type Hammer wrote:

Hello,.... snip ....
2. The Self-Starter key is unreliable. Sometimes it's 4, 8, half the platen; hitting the space bar 4 times is less annoying. How do I adjust its setting?
.... snip ....

The Self Starter key is not adjustable; it just advances the carriage five spaces from where ever it is at the time. Usually you use it at the left margin for starting paragraphs. It is basically a fixed tab with an "unfixed" starting point.

The problem is probably something gummed up so it is either not catching or not releasing properly. Trace the linkages involved and follow the motion to see where things hang up, then clean them. Or clean everything. It is possible that the thing that is supposed to catch is worn and doesn't work for that reason. Inspection will show you.

Good Luck.

29-1-2018 13:04:00  #4

In his picture the key is labeled "tab". On mine it is "self-starter" which is the fixed one. Did they add a full tabulator to any of these models, or is it the same thing?

29-1-2018 16:46:18  #5

SoucekFan wrote:

In his picture the key is labeled "tab". On mine it is "self-starter" which is the fixed one. Did they add a full tabulator to any of these models, or is it the same thing?

OP doesn't claim the pic is of his Model 5, so maybe this isn't an issue. I have Remington Model 5s from 1936, 1946, and 1948 and all have Self Starter keys in the same location as the Tab in OP's pic and none have any other Tab. OP's pic doesn't seem to show Set and Clear keys so they're either set behind the paper table of they're fixed. In either case, it would be a minor change at the factory to replace the Self Starter with a Tab tripper.

I have a note for one of mine that the serial number is on the front of the body shell behind the keytops.

29-1-2018 20:17:09  #6

Lucas, the platen and rolls have gotten better since my posted. I didn't think to rig a vacuum hose when I removed the surface rust, but a few days of transcribing notes seems to have cleaned the rollers and platen --- neither has flat spots.

Originally the bell stopped working when I used the margin release. But using the machine has worked out the bell problem and a few other gremlins.

M. Höhne, I've had another look at the tab and doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the linkage. I feel spring tension, but it doesn't feel like the moven't is sticking or sludged. However, so far I can't get a reliable tab movement:

4-spaces: 1
5-spaces: 8
6-spaces: 4
7-spaces: 1

SoucekFan, M. Höhne, I reference a manual (http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/RemRand1940s.pdf) to make sure I use the correct part/name. Yes, mine is a Tab.

Thanks for the replies.

Here’s the last issue:

When I first opened the box there was a powerful mold smell and I couldn't figure out why until I realized there was a back panel plate I overlooked. There was a rectangular bar of rotten felt in here. What's the best way to remove this felt adhesive? http://imgbox.com/mG9PCfrc

29-1-2018 22:23:39  #7

Type_Hammer, when you say, "Yes, mine is a Tab.", do you mean that your Remington is equipped with a Tab key like the pic you referenced? if so, why did you ask about the Self Starter key? It will not have both of them. If not, then I don't understand what you're talking about.

That list of actions you gave us ("4-spaces: 1", etc.): is that how the carriage moves all the way across its entire travel---i.e., you hit Tab and it moves 4 spaces, then you hit Tab again and it moves an additional 5 spaces and does this for 8 times and then jumps 6 spaces four times, etc.? That sounds like correct action of the tabulator with the stops set at those positions.

Or do you you mean that sometimes when you hit the Tab key at the left margin it jumps one distance and the next time you hit it at the left margin it jumps a different distance.  What are you saying and what is your expectation here?

The felt: you could try spraying it with Fabreeze, leaving it out in the fresh air. If you must remove it. pull it off, maybe with help from a plastic scraper (metal will scratch the paint, and even with plastic, the glue may take some paint with it). 

Did you find the serial number?

29-1-2018 22:25:48  #8

SoucekFan wrote:

In the manual that OP links to elsewhere in this thread (Polt's) it says that a Tabulator is available to replace the Self Starter at extra cost.

30-1-2018 13:24:36  #9

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }a:link {  }M. Höhne, Yes, my machine has a Tab key, but when I wrote the original post I was looking at manual I reference in my last post and that's why I incorrectly referenced the key as self-starter instead of Tab. The list of actions are the results of me sliding the carriage back to its starting position after striking the tab key I was testing whether I could accurately judge the pressure/release of the tab key. What I would like it to get a consistently sized indentation when I press the tab key. However, It isn't do or die, I asked about it because I didn't know if there was some adjustment mechanism I was not aware of. Yes, the serial number is below the touch regulator, behind the first row of keys.

04-2-2018 15:32:35  #10

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }a:link {  }I have figured out the tab. I was on a typewriter blog last night and clicked on a link (http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/RemPort1940.pdf). I already have this manual, but while scrolling I noticed the Margins and Tabulating section (Pg.15). I glossed over this section because the typewriter illustrated didn't resemble a Remington Rand Deluxe Model 5. However, it's all the same, the Remington Rand Deluxe Model 5 simply puts all of this out of site behind the rear cover panel. I tried repositioning this 'clip' along the rack when it first arrived, but it only seemed to cause problem so I put it back where I found it. Now I need three more tabulator stops to complete the set.

Board footera