Typewriter Talk

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-1-2018 23:57:14  #1

Thoughts on Brother 220 vs Triumph junior 12?

So... As stated in my first post, I have bought a Triumph junior 12 portable typewriter. It's being serviced as we speak, so I don't have it here yet.
Now yesterday I came across a Brother 220 machine, it caught my eye... It says 'Vendex 500' but it's a Brother in disguise (Vendex was a household brand from a Dutch warehouse, V&D).
Are any of you familiar with both models (the junior 12 and the 220) and what are your thoughts?
I'm not a writer,  but am planning to use the machine for typing letters with, every now and then.
Thanks in advance!

01-2-2018 18:16:52  #2

Re: Thoughts on Brother 220 vs Triumph junior 12?

Well, to start they're both Japanese typewriters. Although the Triumph has a better feature set, I prefer the Brother because it has a metal case versus plastic used for the Junior, and I find the action to be a little tighter. The Brother is also the more compact machine of the pair, but either will work well enough for letter writing.

"To save time is to lengthen life."

02-2-2018 02:12:47  #3

Thank you Uwe!
I always thought Triumph was a German brand? Not that it matters.

02-2-2018 07:52:22  #4

It was, originally -- but was purchased by Litton Industries (which also bought Royal) in 1969. So the brand continued, but I don't know that Triumph machines continued to be made in Germany.

02-2-2018 13:25:14  #5

MissKSZ wrote:

I always thought Triumph was a German brand?

​Yes, you're right, it was a German brand; however, like many other manufacturers at the time, it used private label typewriters that were actually made in Japan.

​Here for example is an Olympia Carina 2, which underneath its case is the same typewriter as your Triumph because it was made by the same factory in Japan - in this case by Silver-Reed. Olympia was also a German company, but when typewriter sales began to collapse it became more cost efficient to sub-contract the manufacture of some machines to other companies.
http://typewriterdatabase.com/img/golympia%20_4746_1432530702.jpg

03-2-2018 02:10:53  #6

Ha, then I'll know in which gallery to put the pictures 
I've decided to not buy the Brother/Vendex for now. Let's just get to know the Triumph, first, and take it easy.  It's been 20-25yrs since I last worked with a typewriter.
She's already stolen my heart, anyway 

03-2-2018 04:55:10  #7

Both the Triumph and the Olympia Carina were made in Japan by Nakajima, not Silver-Reed.  The Olympia Carina is still being made in China on secondhand Nakajima tooling.  I had a customers one in for repair recently.  I couldn't believe it !  The typeface are made from plastic and actually moulded onto the typebars !  No wonder the alignment was all over the place !  Even the feed rolls are hard plastic.  Such a shame.  With a bit more attention to detail, it could still be a reasonable typewriter.

05-2-2018 10:59:38  #8

I think it would depend on the year of the machine's manufacture. I don't think that there's any question that Silver-Reed (Silver-Seiko) was involved in the production of Triumph models, because if you look at most of the individual components on those machines they are identical to those found on certain Silver-Reed models.

I know that Nakajima made a lot of typewriters for Olympia given it produced the electric and electronic models for the German company, but there are attributes of the earlier manual models that I thought were more consistent with what I've seen on Silver-made models. No doubt you're right about the Carina 2 being a Nakajima machine, but I would not assume that about the Triumph.

06-2-2018 04:53:36  #9

The Triumph 12 was marketed in the UK as the Adler Gabriele 12.  I have had a customer's on in for repair and it is definitely a Nakajima - as is the Hermes 305.  There are some bits and pieces on Nakajimas that look like Silver-Reed, but that is only because Nakajima was copying Silver-Reed.  One of the interesting things about both the Nakajima and the Silver-Reed 500 is that the both use a carriage bed which was originally designed for a portable electric typewriter.  There are rows of ventilation holes under the carriage on the left for an electric motor which isn't there !

10-2-2018 04:11:09  #10

Thanks for all the info - I'm learning a lot on here
There's a serial number (14318080) on my typewriter, where to go to find out the age? I can't find Triumph junior 12's in the database, maybe I should look under another brand and model?

Board footera