You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-2-2018 16:45:29  #1

1959 Smith-Corona Silent in Seafoam Green!

Here are beauty pics of my first proper restoration job. This machine belongs to a friend of a friend. Came to me covered in dust and dried grease, bent and sticky keys. I washed, degreased, and regreased all the internal components. Took off all the outer panels, washed and waxed them, and bent the keys back into place. I am very happy with the way she turned out. She looks and works as if she was new! I washed her with dish soap, kerosene, and mineral spirits, and greased with TF2 Dry. I used Zymol Cleanse and Zymol wax on the outer panels once they were completely clean. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fKvuEzN1DglCKytC2

08-2-2018 19:23:07  #2

Re: 1959 Smith-Corona Silent in Seafoam Green!

Nice work, but something's amiss. Your thread title states it's a "seafoam green Silent" but the photos are of an Alpine Blue Sterling.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-2-2018 20:18:00  #3

It is seafoam green in person, but the pictures make it look blue

08-2-2018 20:27:57  #4

Though come to think of it, I have not seen alpine blue in person, so it could be that? It has a distinct green tint so I assumed it was seafoam. It is more green than my blue Brother typewriter, but less green than my seafoam Hermes Rocket.

09-2-2018 12:16:53  #5

Even accounting for an incorrectly set white balance, it still looks like an Alpine model to me. Also, all of the Seafoam models that I own have off-white keys whereas those on the Alpine models are pure white (see below).

Regardless of the colour, it's still a Sterling in your photos and not a Silent... 

Alpine Blue on left, Seafoam Green on right:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-2-2018 13:21:39  #6

I didn't even notice that I put Silent I the title. Oops! Yes, it is a Sterling. I was looking at another thread about Silents and had them on my mind. The color of this one is in between the two you posted. The keys are definitely off white, not pure white, but I had attributed this to aging.

09-2-2018 20:19:23  #7

Regardless of color, model, horsepower, ethnicity, or shoe size, congratulations on the fantastic job of restoration!

Board footera